SL upgrade VS. clean install VS. archive and install???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DUSTmurph, Aug 25, 2009.

1. DUSTmurph macrumors regular

I have many questions but few clear answers. What would be the benefits of doing a clean install vs. an upgrade? I have an iMac 8,1 which supposedly is eligible for a 64 bit kernel. Would I have to do a clean install or an "archive and install" to get the 64bit kernel?

Also, can someone explain to me exactly what an "archive and install" is/does?
    From the name, I'd assume it would back up your HDD to an external storage unit, then do a clean install, but I'm probably way wrong.

One more question. If I so happen to choose to do a clean install, would Time Machine be an adequate way to restore all my data after the update?

Any help or answers to any of the above questions would truly make my day. You will also be rewarded $1,000,000,000 in Happy FunTime money. :eek:

2. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I'd like to know as well...

I'm also curious if my Time Machine backup would suffice if I did a clean install.

3. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I back up with time machine and would like to do a clean install of SL, would I be able to recover from my time machine even though it was backed up on Leopard and basically have the same machine b4 installing SL, i.e. colour profiles, safari bookmarks etc and if there are incompatible programs etc will they be installed and just won't run? One last question for the likes of aperture etc I have the retail version but will it back up with the key code so I won't have to type it in again, just curious?

Also who else will be doing a clean install and restoring from time machine?

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

In Snow Leopard the "archive and install" has been replaced with "upgrade" in 10.0 -10.5.

The upgrade is based on the old archive and install.

5. DUSTmurph thread starter macrumors regular

So what your saying is there isn't an Archive and install in SL?

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

What i'm saying is when you choose "upgrade" it IS the archive and install. Only better.

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Upgrade = Archive and Install

8. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Has anyone tried a Leopard Time Machine Backup for Snow Leopard? I'm not concerned necessarily with settings and programs but the actual data. I want to re-install all my programs fresh and just add my pictures, documents, music, and movies from the Leopard Time Machine backups, does anyone know if this is possible?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, I think so. Why wouldn't it? If you're afraid, copy your files to its own folder

10. DUSTmurph thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the clarification. Would you happen to know if i can get the 64 bit kernel through just an update?

11. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

I think I'll do that just in case, I guess I have enough space on my 1TB drive for redundancies in files.

12. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Your 24" iMac will probably run the 64-bit kernel but unless you have a native 64-bit program that includes the 64-bit Kext files it wouldn't do much of anything you would notice.

13. dimme macrumors 65816

I think I will do a upgrade on my 2 machines. If things get messy I can always backup and do a clean install.

14. amok-san macrumors newbie

I´m still confused with the clean install.
    The migration assistent should bring back all the applications and preferences from a time-machine backup, right?
    Still it says in here that you have to reinstall all your apps...:confused:

http://lifehacker.com/5345690/prep-your-mac-for-snow-leopard?skyline=true&s=x

"...install Snow Leopard and then restore their data from backup and reinstall all their essential apps."

"...then you've got to restore your Time Machine backup (...) and then you've got to reinstall your applications."