SL Upgrade vs. Clean Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac2x, Nov 6, 2009.

?

Did you upgrade to SL, or erase and install?

1. Upgraded, no problems. :-)

18 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Upgraded, buggy as hell! :-(

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Erased and installed, no problems. :-)

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
  4. Erased and installed, but STILL having problems. :-(

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. I'm still satisfied with 10.5.8

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. mac2x macrumors 65816

Purely out of curiosity. I'm still using 10.5.8 and am completely happy. :cool:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll be staying with 10.5.8 as long as possible. I've dabbled with Snow Leopard with no success though.

3. mac2x thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, BTW, multiple choices are allowed if you have multiple computers. :)

I'm staying with 10.5.8 on my MBP, but I'm going to get an iMac to replace my old Dell soon, so that will mean SL of course.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had a minor issue when installing SL, its minor now because I fixed it, but it was a show stopper when I first incurred the problem. My Canon Pixma Pro 9000 MK II printer was not working, but google is your friend and found the work around.

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. As of this post, 8 out of 10 respondants have reported no problems. I know the sample isn't the most representative yet since it's so small, but it will be very interesting as more people vote.

6. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

7. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Clean install, no problems.

All my apps worked perfectly apart from iClip, but I soon found a solution for that.

8. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I did an upgrade and have had 0 problems -- I didn't want to go through the major headache of reinstalling all my stuff. I'm typically paranoid about OS upgrade types of things, though, so I did make up a checklist of probable issues on my machine and dealt with them before upgrading (things like uninstalling Growl, Chax, MacPorts, Logitech drivers, and any non-native preference panes, then reinstalling them with Snow Leopard-ready versions afterwards).

9. *Karen* macrumors newbie

Upgraded and wish I had stuck with what I had. Only agreed to have it installed 'cos hubby had it there after installing it on his so thought why not?!

None of my online games work anymore, even after updating my flash player to the newest Adobe available. :(
    I've since cleared my cache and also learnt about the flash cookies so got rid of those too and no improvement at all.

Am going to have a look and see what the benefits of SL are to hopefully cheer myself up :)

10. sputacus macrumors regular

UPGRADED - no problem with OSX. Had a few issues with 3rd party apps that have all since been resolved with SL compatible versions being issued.

11. SefKerem macrumors newbie

Erased, and clean installed..No problems at all!

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Erased and fresh install of SL. No issues and do a lot of video editing and gaming in OS X. My experience with SL has been excellent on both my iMac 24" and 13" MBP :)

13. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Tried upgrading, then did clean install (x2)

Initially I did upgrades on the Macbook (2.16 C2D) and iMac (2.8 C2D) and it was kind of okay but several beachball episodes while running software like Safari, iTunes, iPhoto, nothing really complex.

After a week or so I decided to try an clean install on the Macbook and what a difference! The machine absolutely flies now. That was a month or more ago, and it's still perfect. I never thought that a 2.5-year-old laptop could work this well.

Based on that, I did a clean install on the iMac too, which is also working beautifully—not such a noticeable difference as on the Macbook, but it definitely (subjectively) is much smoother and faster now.

(Faster as in UI interaction; I can't imagine that any processor etc. benchmarks would show a difference).

I'd say a clean install is definitely worth a try if you think you have any problems.

(Note that mine were properly clean installs, involving re-installing Apps and re-creating preferences, just dragging across the Documents folder from my Time Machine backup - I didn't want to take chances with a 'Time Machine Restore' of anything that might potentially be causing problems).