SL vs. Lion performance(08 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Astroboy907, May 18, 2012.

1. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I got a late 08 macbook pro off of ebay- it is currently running snow leopard on it. I don't know if I should upgrade to lion yet (which I have a copy of...), but lion seems to give many people a drop in performance. I want to do a clean install, just in case the last owner left some malware **** on it, and have a lion bootable USB made. Should I go this way? I also have a leopard install disc and a SL upgrade disc (NOT an install disc). What would be the best OS to go for for performance, etc. I dont really use many of the features in lion, and if snow leopard is the way to go, I might as well just spend the time getting me there. I will be upgrading to 8gb of RAM too, as well as a 1tb HDD soon (within the next two weeks, if all goes well), so should I do a clean install when I switch HDDs?

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Bit off topic, but how much did you get the laptop for? (Also grats on the MBP :p)

3. Astroboy907 thread starter macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Ummm... its for parts and repair, needed a new display assembly + backlight fuse + battery. Estimating $550 for the parts to make it run, and $620 total with RAM and HDD upgrades (I have some extra parts so the price is lower). Good deal or did I get ripped off? :D (2.66 ghz C2D, 15", Early '09, removable battery)

4. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

If i were you i would just stick to SL. I have an late 09 unibody white macbook, and the upgrade although doesnt have poor performance, the features itself cause a bit of problems, and doesnt feel as stable as SL. Some applications take longer to close and i have Crucial M4 SSD. :confused:

On a side note, most of the complaints with the upgrade to lion have also been around heat issues (me included) with macs running core 2 duos. Check this forum and other forums regarding this. My temps on my macbook are at 47'C on idle and i have to use a fan controller to drop the temps to 40'C with the fan spinning at 4000rpm. :(

Probably going to do a clean install of SL after i back up all my files again. Only had lion for about 3 weeks.

Hope this helps. Although lion seems to be a great innovative OS, i dont feel it works quite as well as snow leopard does, and really my main concern for me going back to SL will be the heat.

5. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'd say for the price it was good, as far as Lion on it, I'm not sure since both my computers running Lion have i5 quad/dual cores. I do love Lion though. In my opinion Mission Control > Exposé + Spaces.