SL w. BIG TC updates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Killerbob, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Since my clean install of SL onto my Macs, I am having the same "issue" on all three of them. I backed up my TC, and erased the HD, and following the install of SL, and the installation of tons of applications, I then turned on TM (onto my TC).

The "issue" is that every time the TM runs (and that is nowhere as often as under LEO) the backups are gigantinormous, but quick. I mean, without any changes of any kind (my MS identity is excluded), the latest backup was 1.3G.

I know the first backups were rather big (new install, new backup), but this is been going on for a week.

Also, how do you know that the backup is all encompassing? Is there a utility to gauge the completeness of your TM?

Thanks,

KB

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

One of your "tons of apps" is updating one or more large files. TM sees this and backs it up each time because it has changed.

Huh?

3. Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good suggestion; I checked out my larger directories, and found that I have "TechTool Protection" turned on, and that creates directory backups of the HDs in the systems. These are updated often, and hence big changes... Turned off now.

And, what I meant was; when the backup in TM finishes, does that mean for sure that you can restore the entire system? Is everything backed up? Just curious because the backup sparsebundles on the TC are not as big as the systems they represent.

KB