Slacker Radio Coming Really Soon

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by KRAPPS, Jan 8, 2009.

1. KRAPPS macrumors 6502

KRAPPS

2. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

3. Cyclotrode macrumors regular

Cyclotrode

4. KRAPPS thread starter macrumors 6502

KRAPPS

Also similar to Last FM (http://www.last.fm) ... basically music recommendations based on your current "likes"

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Thanks. But, wouldn't this canibalize their own handheld device? Looks cool though. I currently have Pandora and Fine Tune right now. I don't know if I could handle a third such program. They had best try to distinguish themselves from the crowd if they want to be successful.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I understood Slacker to be a "competitor" to XM/Sirius satelite radio with their portable unit. This could be interesting.

7. jalpert macrumors 6502

True, slacker can auto find music for you like Last.FM but it's so much more. Go to the website, and give it at least 15 bands. Once you do that, name and save your station you can access it on the iPhone. From there, you only hear songs from those bands. Slacker provides a lot more control. Plus, it's rumered to have streaming audio quality that Pandora or Last.FM can't touch. Other things you can control:

-You can ban or heart songs
    -You can control how often hearted songs are heard. Play them a little more, or tons
    -You can play new, old or in between music
    -You can play the popular songs, the hits, or the fringe
    -You can control how often you hear "artist discovery" songs, all the way from never to lots

I think the app is going to be free. It's not going to save music to the iPhone, just stream, but I hope it's a really good start.

8. bprough macrumors newbie

this also looks very cool and I love all the streaming apps out there and they all have such a nice price tag on them

9. jalpert macrumors 6502

If you think you'd be interested goto http://www.slacker.com and sign up. They have a great web player, you'll be hooked in no time.

10. bprough macrumors newbie

thanks i am gonna head over there right now and give it a try

11. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

LOL! How did it break?

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It didn't really break. What did break was my motivation to do it myself. ;)

13. KRAPPS thread starter macrumors 6502

KRAPPS

My thoughts exactly! Seems like the iPhone app will have "limited" features - makes sense since like you said, they do market a stand alone device.

FWIW, Slacker Radio is awesome and will be a welcomed addition in the App Store.

14. jbode macrumors member

How does Slacker Radio compare to Pandora?

Is it different enough that both should be used?

15. KRAPPS thread starter macrumors 6502

KRAPPS