Slacker Radio Music Streaming App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by OutGolfn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. OutGolfn macrumors regular

I thought I'd start a thread just for the Slacker Radio Music iOS app. I searched and did not see a dedicated thread, but bits and pieces in other threads.

For their $3.99/month plus option I think its the best radio streaming option without any ads.(Disclaimer: I don't work for them, just love their service) I've used it for years from blackberry, android, and now on iOS. I've tried the others Spotify, Mog, Pandora, etc and always seem to come back to Slacker.

Any other people enjoy Slacker Radio as well? The iOS app can of course be improved upon, but just thought I'd start a discussion.

2. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I use tunin radio pro, slacker used to be good but after an update awhile ago I switched to tunin. Also its only $0.99 one time allowing you to listen to most radio stations around the world. You can also record the radio, pause it, and rewind it.

3. Wordslinger29 macrumors member

I used Slacker exclusively on my HTC Incredible for about a year. I never had an issue with it and bumped my subscription up to Slacker Plus for unlimited skips. But then I started to have a huge problem where a song would stop playing and the app would freeze for a while, then skip to the next song. This was on both low and high quality.

I figured it was either an issue with the Android version of the app or Verizon's 3G network was just getting hammered from the increase in smartphone use (the iPhone had recently debuted, along with a number of popular Android handsets). I ended up dropping my subscription and stopped using the app.

When I bought an iPhone 4S, I was eager to give Slacker another go. Unfortunately the skipping is worse on the iPhone. I was sure the problem was on Verizon's end, until I tried Pandora the other day. I don't know what Pandora is doing that Slacker isn't, but it works flawless over 3G. I have yet to experience a single hiccup.

To be fair, I've also experienced streaming issues with radio.com and gMusic, although not as bad as what I got with Slacker.