Slashes in Folder/Filenames

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcinfoman, Feb 18, 2008.

1. pcinfoman macrumors member

I think this is an operating system question.

I am using OS X 10.3.9. I am going to upgrade as soon as I get a good backup.

I have slashes in my file and folder names and it is working fine. However, when I connect my Western Digital MyBook external hard drive, it will not accept the slashes in the file/folder names. I find myself having to rename everything.

Is there a solution to this? My old external hard drive did not have this problem.

How do I get past it?

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Your external disk is probably formatted in fat32 format (basically meaning MS Windows format) which cannot have slashes in file names. In disk utility get info on the drive and see what format it's in. If it's in fat32 then reformat it as hfs+ using disk utility and all should be fine. Reformatting will erase the drive completely, so be sure to copy off all the data from the disk first.

3. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

I went to Disk Utility and then to "Partition" and it says "Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

What does that mean?

4. andy.barron macrumors 6502

That's strange. I agree with motulist, the drive seems to be Windows based....

I would still use his recommendation to re-format to be sure, as I have been using various characters (/, ° etc.) for years NO PROBLEM.:)

5. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

That is a valid suggestion. I will give it a shot and get back to you.

Thanks

6. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

In the disk utility, I do not see a "format" option. I see "Erase". is that what you mean?

Under "Erase", I can choose a volume format. My choices are as follows: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Mac OS Extended, MS-DOS File System and Unix File System". I can rule out MS-DOS, but what choice do I need to make to get "HFS" as you suggested?

7. andy.barron macrumors 6502

8. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

What is the difference between journaled and not journaled?

9. andy.barron macrumors 6502

It keeps the file system in good order, a bit like Cocktail used to do.

Imagine fragmentation - its like its stores data with a bit of sense & avoids.

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

11. pcinfoman thread starter macrumors member

I re-formatted the drive in "Extended (Journaled)" mode and it is working perfectly now.

Thank you for all your help

12. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist