Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Apple being too friendly?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too early to determine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mariusignorello

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
So Slate quickly decided to publish this (News App required):
https://apple.news/ARfrh5qzZQ8ixig55l93Xhw

I think there are two explanations:

- Apple copied, and inviting Microsoft (I was shocked) was their way of saying "who cares anymore, let's all be friends".
I do not like that explanation.

- Apple copied, played nice with Microsoft, but will annihilate and betray Microsoft on every level.
I like that explanation.

If Apple just doesn't care and wants to be friends with everyone, that makes me wonder where they're headed...

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
So Slate quickly decided to publish this (News App required):
https://apple.news/ARfrh5qzZQ8ixig55l93Xhw

I think there are two explanations:

- Apple copied, and inviting Microsoft (I was shocked) was their way of saying "who cares anymore, let's all be friends".
I do not like that explanation.

- Apple copied, played nice with Microsoft, but will annihilate and betray Microsoft on every level.
I like that explanation.

If Apple just doesn't care and wants to be friends with everyone, that makes me wonder where they're headed...
i have NO problem if they actually co-operate together to get things done. Maybe Apple and MS could depend on each other to make something new...only except different os.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
1. News app *not* required. Link worked fine in Chrome on Windows.

2. When Steve jobs said who wants to use a stylus. This was in a time when you needed to use a stylus in order to interact with the tiny touch buttons of a Windows Mobile 5.x/6.x keyboard. They were ridiculous, you couldn't use your fingers.
this: http://index.es/tarhely/636/kepek/lg_ks20_11.jpg
Controls were tiny. Needed fine point stylus.

That solution is solved. iPads/iPhones are fully functional... keyboard, typing, settings, notifications, everything with fingers. Stylus is not used for that, it's for a new form of interaction. So it doesn't in the least counter Steve's claims taken out of context.

3. Apple is on a war path to dominate businesses.
Their partnership with business apps with IBM.
Their latest partnership with Cisco for iOS device optimization through routers.
Their realization that Pages/Numbers will never supplant Microsoft in the workplace... and to embrace it.
Dell and HP are now selling MS Surface to businesses... Apple needs to jump in and beat that to the punch. And Microsoft's Office division is helping!? wow.

Reactions: dave420

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Good leaders lead with the courage of their convictions. The current leadership at Apple and Microsoft are pragmatists. Nothing bold will come from either of those two camps for quite a while. Evolutionary, yes, Revolution, no.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Microsoft understands that they lost the smartphone war as well as Steve understood that Apple lost the PC war in 1997. They however, still own the office suite and enterprise markets and want to ensure that they continue to dominate those markets. What Microsoft is doing is called a "strategy tax". They are doing something that immediately hurts certain products (Windows, Surface) but bolsters even more profitable long-term goals (subscription software, enterprise).

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Their realization that Pages/Numbers will never supplant Microsoft in the workplace... and to embrace it.
I think you're spot on here. This represents a new way of thinking at Apple -- instead of being intent on dominating sector by sector, making their product(s) the de facto standard (see: MacBook) they are conceding a bit of territory in order to grow the big picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.