Sleep and auto log off possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lapino, Sep 7, 2009.

1. lapino macrumors regular

I would like to make my MBP automatically log off when closing the lid, so when I'm logged in and close the laptop, and someone else opens it up later on, they only can logon to their own user. How can I do this?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Safety -> Check "Log out after xx minutes of unuse" or whatever it's in English and set the time to 0

3. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

But then I'll be logged out after doing nothing for several minutes and that's not 'exactly' what I want (although it's a decent alternative I guess). Essentially, I would like my MBP to behave like Windows: when I close the lid, the computer goes to sleep, and when re-opening it, I get the screen where a user must be selected and password entered. In windows, the logged on user(s) does not get logged out, but the person that wakes the computer from sleep is required to re-enter their password. Quite a good solution there. Possible to do this on Mac?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, my bad, sorry :eek:

I don't have a Mac laptop so it's harder for me to help but I think you can choose from energy saving options or safety that what happens when you close the lid (sleep, shut down, log off). Take a look at those prefs

5. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

No solution there. Tried the suggested solution to log off after x mins of inactivity, but that counter doesn't advance when laptop is put to sleep. Just tried setting it to 1 min, closed the laptop, opened it after 5 mins, and no logon needed, I was right at the desktop where I left.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

What you are looking for is in security. It doesn't log you off, but it does prompt for login. There are a number of options for time frame as well.

Attached Files:

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That isn't the same... You still need to type your password BEFORE you can log out and change user, unless you reboot everytime :cool:

8. Maccleduff macrumors regular

This is the alternative:

STEP 1:

System preferences > Accounts > Login Options

Tick the box 'Show Fast User switching menu as' and choose one of the options e.g.
    If you selected 'name' your username will appear in menubar, top right corner.

STEP 2:

Click username in menubar and select 'Login window'. It will now go to login screen, with you still logged in, but requiring password. Now you can sleep the computer.

STEP 3: when you wake computer it will be at login screen, other users can login, and you account is still logged in as well.

STEP 4: repeat STEP2 everytime you sleep computer.

Hope that helps! :)

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Ah, I read the incorrect responses before actually reading the OP. Looks like the last post will work.