Sleep and wake issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMarvin, Feb 26, 2012.

1. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Hi everyone, I'm having some problems with wake and sleep issues in my home network.

Last night i was watching a movie on my Apple tv streamed from my iMac. Everything was fine until i dozed off and fell asleep, the tv and apple tv turned off as usual after the movie finished but the iMac didn't so it was running all night long.

Ive been having some issues waking the iMac from sleep when trying to watch a movie from my apple tv or using the remote app from my iPhone. Never had any sleep issues with the iMac before, just the waking up part.

But the apple tv wakes up just fine when trying streaming something to it.

If i want to wake the iMac i have to go to it and press a key so it wakes up, why is that? I have the wake on lan setting turned on. :confused:

I have a fiber connection in my apartment so that the iMac is connected directly in to the wall but it is also connected through the wifi (d-ling dir-300, ancient:p) so i can stream content. Could that be the problem? The two connections?

Thanks in advance, Marvin.

2. richard13 macrumors 6502a

WOL regarding the iMac is spotty at best. Often I can wake my iMac from my MacBook Pro by accessing it via my wireless network (I use a Time Capsule for a router). However, it does fail sometimes and I have to go over to the iMac and wake it via the keyboard.

If you want it to be totally foolproof you may just want to set Power Saving to not set your iMac to sleep. I know this isn't a great solution but it would work.

I do not have an Apple TV so I can't comment on that.

I would suggest that you do a Software Update since Apple just released and update that fixes another problem with waking (wireless network lost on wake bug). This may help you with your problem.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Run Software Update or navigate and download directly from:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1501

4. iMarvin thread starter macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Thanks for the help guys, but it still doesn't want to work. Could it be that my router doesn't support some sort of wake protocol (bonjour?) even though my iPhone and iMac can wake my ATV? :confused: