Sleep and writing RAM to Disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gryz, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Gryz macrumors member

New member, new MBP owner as well. Bought myself a 2011 15" 8gb for Engineering school which starts next week. Thought it was time to move on from a troublesome PC after loving my Iphone and Ipad.

Anyway, know this topic has been beaten to death, as I have spent the past week on here lurking and finding answers to almost every question I have.

But when I put the MBP to sleep (something I am new to - have always shut down a PC) I have read it writes the contents of the RAM to the HD.
    Does this transfer of contents to the HD then get moved back to the RAM after woken up? Basically, I am jsut curious if there is a buildup of contents on the disk after months or years of sleeping...

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X writes a sleep image file, in case the power goes out or the battery is empty. But normally waking from SLEEP just reads contents from the RAM, as that is faster than reading it from HDD.

Was that understandable?

3. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

Yes, thank you.

I just thought perhaps that writing to the disk would use up disk space over time...

4. simsaladimbamba

No, there is only one sleepimage file, not several.

You can also disable it if you want.

5. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

Any benefit to doing so?

Edit: Just read your link - exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for the help!