Sleep Apnea Sufferers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mactastic, Nov 20, 2007.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I just found out I have it. Got my polysomnography results, severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Was issued my CPAP a week or so ago. Not much fun to sleep with, and any of my faint sex appeal is, I'm sure, gone now that my wife gets to sleep next to a guy with a nasal mask and an air hose attached; however, it does eliminate snoring and apneas, and it really does allow me to sleep better - sort of. I'm still sorting out the issues with the humidifier, and trying to find ways to be able to sleep on my side. I've woken up with terrible dry mouth a couple times. But overall, sleep quality seems to be increasing. Now if only the quantity would rise as well... but that's more the result of having a 13-month old than sleep apnea.

Anyhoo - supposedly this is pretty common, moreso among males than females; so I was just curious if any other MR folks are in the same boat. Probably not worth a poll, but I'd like to throw the floor open to anyone with the same condition.

2. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Although I don't have sleep apnea(that I know of) my grandpa did. They actually found out quite by accident that he had it. He was in for surgery and a very attentive nurse noticed that several times while he was asleep he would stop breathing for a while and then suddenly start back up again.

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, without a spouse telling me about the symptoms she witnessed while I was asleep, I would never have known to even go get checked.

4. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Yeah it kinda makes me wonder if I have it sometimes, but then I realize I probably don't since when I wake up the bed looks like I was wrestling a bear. I figure that if I am moving around that much I probably have oxygen. :p

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not necessarily. I'd toss my covers around quite a bit myself.

The problem is that when your brain senses a lack of oxygen, it sends a signal to your body to wake up enough to begin the breathing process again. You are generally not even aware that you have woken up because you fall asleep again so quickly. The problem is that because you are constantly being awakened by your brain, you have difficulty reaching the deep levels of sleep. Several physical ailments can result from this.

This can happen literally hundreds of times a night.

6. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Yeah, I should probably find out one of these days.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I got an auto-CPAP almost a year ago, and had major problems with my mask at first (a standard type mask). I went back and got a totally different type (Breeze SleepGear by Puritan) and it is so much better! I can lie on my side now without a problem. There are no straps across the cheek or large plastic mask over the nose (it uses Nose Pillows). If you are having problems with the mask (esp. leaks) I would highly recommend you check it out.

As to the humidifier I tried it for several months and finally gave up on it. The unit w/o the humidifier is so much smaller and easier to use.

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, another sufferer here too.

I was diagnosed a couple of years ago and got my CPAP machine the next day. I absolutely ********g hate it!

Tried hundreds and hundreds of dollars in masks and still don't like it. The latest mask seems to work the best and it's a brand new type. Not sure what it's called and I can't even supply a link.

I've never had that 'oh what a great nights sleep that was' feeling from my mask. It wakes me up just as much as the apnea I think.

Mine is moderate so it's not going to kill me so most of the time I don't bother with the mask and just go with the lousy sleep.

I feel for you and for anyone else that has it.

Cheers.

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's no good mactastic :(. I hope you're feeling a little better with your CPAP. If it's any consolation I finished my respiratory block a couple of months back and those patients who have used their CPAP were usually pretty grateful for the increased sleep that they were afforded by its use. But they are very unwieldy and are a bit of a pain. There were also quite a few patients patently refused to wear them. Good luck with it, I'm sure your Dr gave you a big list of things to do besides the CPAP to decrease your sleep apnoea. It must be hard with a little one to look after.

10. danny_w macrumors 601

I forgot to mention, but I hardly ever wake up at night now and feel much more refreshed after a night's sleep. If I ever try taking a nap w/o the CPAP I get a very sore throat. I really have become dependent on it. One thing that I found to be VERY important is to keep it clean. Washing the hoses and mask can be tiring, but it is so important. With a humidifier about every 2 days is best (or even every day), but w/o a humidifier I do it twice a week. Just stick with it and I hope it gets better for you!

11. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm doing OK with the mask. I'm just using the nasal pillow setup. I'm wondering if I might need a full face mask for times when I have a cold though.

As far as things I could have been diagnosed with, or treatment regimens to be on, it could be a lot worse IMHO. At least with the CPAP there is no surgery or drugs involved.

Oh, and I've been cleaning my rig every morning before I leave for work.

12. Roric macrumors regular

I have had a CPAP for about 2 years now and it is great. I used to fall asleep while driving, sitting at my desk, sitting in meetings, pretty much anywhere that I sat for a few minutes. In general, I was tired ALL the time, but sleep did no good.

The overnight test to determine if I needed the machine was quite easy. I was put to bed with lots of wires hooked up all over my head. After two hours, I was woken up by the nurse (who came in and said, "We have a winner!") who fitted me for the CPAP. Apparently, I stopped breathing 260 times in 2 hours. They were glad to put me on the machine because I was so bad. Now my scores are 1 or less per hour.

My CPAP is a ResMed S7 with humidifier and uses the Mirage Swift II Mask with nasal pillows and a headgear.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Since I had a problem with my mouth opening while sleeping (which breaks up the whole air pressure thing), I now also have a chin strap.
    [​IMG]

I can sleep pretty much anyway I want, as long as I do not lay on the hose. The hose can connect on left or right, so I have it on the side of the head that is up and let it run up to the headboard and across to the machine. This way, it is not laying across my neck or anything.

Things are a lot better now. The only problems I have are when the pieces have not been cleaned on schedule (they get cleaned on Monday and Thursday) or when they are nearing the end of life on the pillows (6 months). I can actually stay awake

13. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's pretty similar to my rig. I got a slightly different ResMed air pusher and humidifier, but I'm using the same nasal pillow setup.

I have yet to find a comfortable way to sleep on my side that doesn't cause air leaks when the pillow pushing on the mask.

14. danny_w macrumors 601

My headgear is like this with the hose coming from the top, so I can lie on my back, either side, or my stomach without changing anything. This is so much better than the other masks that I tried.

Attached Files:

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My step dad has sleep apnea, and wears a cpap as well. My mom now affectionately refers to him as "Scuba Shawn" and from what I 'hear' its not necessarily bad for your sex life ;)

16. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

Apparently around 20% of the male population over 30 (I think) have sleep apnoea and its not something not to be taken lightly. It can lead to stroke and heart failure and other serious life threatening conditions. There has been a lot about it in Australia as Resmed (who are based here) first invented the air blower units to treat the condition. - I know quite a few people who have sleep apnoea and apparently Resmed machines are the ones to get. Forgive me for pushing an Aussie company!!

http://www.resmed.com/en-au/