Sleep/Awake button is shrinking to the left

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rashid Alkaabi, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Rashid Alkaabi macrumors member

Hello,

I just bought my iPhone 3G S and I used it for a while ( 2 weeks ) and I was shocked today when I saw that the sleep/awake button is shrinking toward the left. Any one experienced the same issue? is it an issue to worry about? because I have heard that some people are having their phone to hang up calls because of the sleep/awake button.

I have compared my 3G S to my 1 Gen iPhone and I found that the difference is pretty noticeable.

This pic shows my situation
    http://i25.tinypic.com/1gniue.jpg

Please advice,

Thanks,
    Rashid

2. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

They say a picture speaks a thousand words but that picture tells me nothing. Its so grainy I can't even tell if that's a human hand holding the phone. :D

3. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

EXACT same thing is happening to me. pressing the button is very difficult at times. i've considered taking it back but havent gotten around to it. i've got a bad feeling it will continue to get worse

4. Slypr macrumors member

my first 3gs was like that from the day I bought it, ended up having to exchange it for a different reason and my new one is normal

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Do you mean that the left side of the button is depressed and does not pop back up when the button is released? I ask because I cannot see it at all from your photo, and your description is unclear to me.

6. SuperKat macrumors regular

Me Too

Mine's on a slight lean. It's not too bad, I just try to remember to hit the other side. Shrug.

7. MakX macrumors member

Yep mine has this too.

But, it's not what it seems. The button is actually perfectly flat (look at it from the screen side) but then look at it from the back, which appears to have it ridden into the side. I think this is actually the casing riding up on it for whatever reason.

It is happening to 2 other friends who have black 3GS'.

Since I'm certain this is affecting a lot of people I doubt getting a replacement would actually fix anything.

8. xpimp5000 macrumors newbie

All you have to do is install ( call lock) from cydia and set it up for manual lock insted of auto, and now when you press the power/sleep button wether you have your speaker on or not, it will just lock the screen and not hang up the call

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think you meant 'depressed' instead of the word 'shrinking'...
    That usually happens because of a drop, I believe (not 100% sure) if it stops working you might need to change the whole headphone jack assembly (includes the headphone jack, on/off switch, silent/ring switch, volume controls, and vibrator).

10. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Can also happen because one of the screws has dropped out on the inside. Seen it a few times.