Sleep battery drain - messages app on MBP16

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesaint024, Dec 25, 2016.

1. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I've been trying to figure out why my tMBP 13 drains more than needed battery while sleeping. I finally noticed that messages is waking my MBP up every time i get or send a message. I keep my MBP open while it's locked, and it doesn't seem to ever go into full hibernate mode.

I know one solution is to just manually set how long before hibernate. I've been intentionally avoiding this to troubleshoot the cause of the sleep battery drain. If this is the only way, I will do it. I don't really need my computer to only be in sleep vs. hibernate, so I can set it to a couple minutes and be done with it. I believe I can also just close the lid, but I want to avoid that so I don't have to open and close the lid while at my desk station. Ideally, I'm just looking for a way to shut off wake on message, but I can't seem to find it. I have done a search both on MR and internet, no luck. Anyone know the solution?

2. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Is disabling "Power Nap" what you're after? (sys pref > Energy Saver > Enable Power Nap)

3. thesaint024 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Thanks. I tried it and it woke my computer. I looked this up in the help section, it sounds like it actually ALLOWS background checking. I had this disabled and it still was doing background checking.

4. bizack macrumors 6502

System Preferences -> Notifications. Turn them all off for iMessage.

5. cityboy-100, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016

cityboy-100 macrumors member

hmm

Ok how do you delete posts? I haven't found this.

6. thesaint024 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Yep, tried this one too. Although it keeps the screen from waking up, it doesn't allow notifications while the MBP is ON either. Starting to get annoyed that there isn't a clean software option to not have my MBP turn on while sleeping, yet still have full functionality while on.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 25, 2016 ---
    My typical way to enter into sleep is to lock the computer. I would think that would bring the MBP to sleep state? Very possible I don't know the subtle differences between lock, sleep, display off.

7. dhw01 macrumors newbie

Tried setting "Do not disturb" mode before closing the lid?

8. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the confusion - I was suggesting disabling the "Enable..." checkbox. Too bad it doesn't work - seems like that would be the point of disabling power nap is to keep the laptop from updating that sort of thing.

9. thesaint024 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

No worries. This is what the forum is for right? To figure out this stuff. So it looks like the most efficient fix is to turn off most notifications, but the downside is still that I can't get notifications when the MBP is on. I hope Apple makes this better with an update.

10. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I seem to have noticed a similar issue, but wasn't sure it wasn't a random occurrence. An iMessage woke my MBP and it wouldn't go back to sleep until I placed in sleep manually. Happened once.

11. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

well this explains why my 15' 15 has sporadic power drains

12. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Hmmm, this is interesting.

I get 8-12% drain overnight on my mbp 13 touchbar, which is significantly more than the 2-3% drain I got on my dell xps 15 9550. The xps 15 ( and my old surface book) initially had problems with properly sleeping, and would suffer from rapid battery drain and the "hot bag" syndrome. This was, eventually, discovered to be caused by skylake...but I believe intel fixed it.

One nice thing about windows was the ability to go to sleep, like you do on a Mac, or trigger full hibernation. Having the choice was nice, as I would always hibernate at night. You wouldn't get any battery drain, and you worked would still be saved for the next day.

One of the big reasons I moved to the MacBook Pro (or back to one) was the stability I remembered. I really, really value not having to restart my machine, or turn it off for weeks at a time; thus leaving my work in a suspended state. This stability it still present, but the battery drain at night is a new thing, and more drastic than I remember.

Beyond that the MBP 13 touchbar is flawless for me so far. It is not quiet as stable as my custom built windows gaming/work PC (skylake i7 quad core, gtx 1070, 16 gb ram, Asus motherboard, etc, etc), but nothing is. That desktop is the most stable, flawless machine I have ever used.

13. thesaint024 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

I am glad to hear that intel fixed any skylake draining issue. This feels and sounds a lot like a software issue since skylake seems to not cause sleep battery drain on PCs. iMessage might just be one of a handful of culprits that is waking up the MBP from sleep. In my particular case, I have frequent enough iMessage conversations that it would wake it up regularly. But I suspect email, skype, or any other notification is doing this also. Apple just needs to truly let the computer sleep. I'm very close to just forcing hibernate with the command line modification. I just need to search and find it again. I think that's the better option than turning off notifications since that affects the MBP when it's on and I actually want those notifications.

14. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

If you find it, would you mind posting it here?

Thanks!

15. thesaint024 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

Here's the link to the conversation in the battery thread. Basically it's "sudo pmset -b standbydelay 300" in the command line.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23980703/