sleep behavior

Discussion in 'iMac' started by davidra, Feb 5, 2013.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

Never had a Mac before my new 27 iMac, so I'm not sure what normal behavior is. I'm having problems with sleep disconnecting my external drive. I tried it on my son's Mac Pro. When he clicks the sleep option, it takes 15 seconds or so to shut off the screen, and the same drive is not disconnected. On mine it shuts off immediately. Is this normal? Why the difference? Is it due to the fusion drive?

2. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? It's a pretty simple question. Has anyone with a fusion drive iMac put their computer to sleep manually, and if so, does the screen immediately go blank? Anyone? Bueller?

3. trustever macrumors 6502

if you search the forum someone was lamenting a similar behavior of the external hard drive being expelled when the computer was gooing on standby but I can't recall if he sorted the problem.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's a known issue. Follow the steps in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1529750

It will prevent your iMac from hibernating, but it will wake and sleep properly. Remember to restore the values if you use Migration assistant for anything.

5. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but that's not exactly my problem. My iMac wakes promptly after sleep. The thread does probably answer one question: the SSD makes the screen shut down immediately (I assume) so that may be normal behavior (but I wish someone would just say what their fusion drive iMac does when it's put to sleep manually). My problem is that when it does go to sleep it disconnects my TM hard drive and I get an error message that I haven't ejected it before disconnecting. I'm simply trying to figure out if this (which is commonly reported) is due to the way sleep is implemented with an SSD. I'm also trying to figure out how damaging it might be to never have the iMac sleep, in which case everything works fine.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The 3TB model like mine is known for taking too long to wake....Prior to setting the pm settings to 0, my new 27" took 15-20 seconds to wake. It was also erratically waking up for no reason. I suspected hardware, but this proved not to be the case. Remember that your Mac will still go into screensaver as designated, and it will still sleep.....It just won't hibernate. You won't damage the machine by using those terminal settings....I've confirmed the issue with Apple, told them what I've done and it's fine. When an update addresses the issue, I will return the settings to 1.

7. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sorry for being such a newbie but I'm not following. Are you saying that the reason my drive disconnects immediately after sleeping is because it goes into hibernation? If that's the case, I would expect other drives to disconnect but they do not. Again, I have no problem with waking from sleep so I'm not sure changing anything in terminal would help me.