Sleep cycles on an iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi,
    Got my new iMac and am using the Energy Saver option. I have both my computer and display set to sleep after 15 minutes. I also have the hard drive sleep whenever possible.
    I probably wake the iMac 5 or 6 times a day. Is this too much? I like having the display sleep, but will the amount of cycles I'm averaging damage the computer/hard drive? Thanks for any info.
    Morod

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

people will say that constantly waking up your hard disk will shorten its life as the disk platters are doing work do spin up and spin down. this may or may not be true... im not sure.

maybe your should set your iMac and the hard disk(s) to never sleep and just sleep the display. sleeping you display will lengthen its life. then when you are done for the night just press "command-option-eject" to sleep :).

this will use more energy but will lengthen your iMac's life. if you worried about the energy, set your iMac and the hard disk to sleep after a period of five times longer than you currently have set so your only waking it once or maybe twice.

3. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks, richthomas,
    What you said sounds good. I like the fact I have the option of putting the computer to sleep, but it was not a practical matter for me during the day, just at night. I'm glad I can sleep the display independently.
    And thanks for the keyboard shortcut!
    Morod