Sleep delay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by r23w, May 20, 2012.

1. r23w macrumors member

I have an early 2011 MBP 15". Everytime I use the hotkey to sleep or do it from the apple menu it takes 30 seconds for it to sleep. This is with no programs running, no sharing prefs enabled, and nothing out of the usual going on in activity monitor. I reset the PRAM and that didn't do anything.

Could this be a disk issue? I do have a self installed drives, a SSD running lion.

Any ideas on a quick fix?

2. samac92 macrumors 6502a

The delay is usually your Mac writing the contents of your ram to the drive, in case of your battery running out whilst it's in sleep mode.

in terminal type

this will turn this feature off. Keep in mind if your MBP runs out of battery while it is asleep you will lose your state as the contents of the memory will not be on the drive.

to switch it back to the MBP's default setting:

3. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

How much RAM do you have? It's likely that OSX is writing your RAM contents to the hard drive for deep sleep or hibernate mode. It does this every time you put your computer to sleep.

Edit: beaten by a minute. I believe you want to use sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
    The -a makes sure it applies to all power profiles.

4. r23w thread starter macrumors member

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Yup, then it's writing an 8GB file to the hard drive each time you sleep.

6. r23w thread starter macrumors member

that command did not seem to correct the issue

7. samac92 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I don't know then sorry

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Did you do a full shutdown after typing that command?

9. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I have a 2011 MacBook Air with 4GB memory that has this same issue. 30-40 seconds to go into sleep. I have a second MBA, same spec that takes virtually no time to sleep. Neither has had the hibernate command run.

The first machine that has the sleep delay does not wake up from sleep using USB keyboard/mouse of the Magic Mouse (yes, I have the "allow bluetooth devices to wake computer" setting enabled)

This is a big problem for my users who have a BookArc stand and external keyboard/mouse/monitor. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.