Sleep function on iMacs ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dwighty pork, Apr 26, 2012.

1. dwighty pork macrumors newbie

I have an iMac 24 from 2009 and an iMac 27 from early 2011 with i5, both running O.S.10.6.8 as I have zero wish to use Lion now or in the future...
    The 24 has the 640 gb hard disk and the 27 the 1TB.
    I usually put the machines into sleep mode at night but have been surprised to find that whereas the 24 remains stone cold while in sleep that the 27 can run quite warm in the same function.
    Checking the Activity Monitor on the 27 after awakening from sleep,I see that the CPU is busy - I do have a large iTunes library with many films I watch via Apple TV, and I note that Quick Time takes up most of my usage, presumably down to this ?
    Is it better to close down applications like iTunes, Vuze, Skype and Firefox before I put the machine into sleep mode - and also to keep your iTunes Library small and just store movies on an external hard drive (as I do anyway..) and load them when you intend to watch ?
    Any thoughts welcomed.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible that it's not staying in sleep mode. If that's the case, you may find some useful ideas here:

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep
    One sleep problem caused by printers - solved ... and another
    What processes show to be using CPU resources? Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Also, click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. Then take a screen shot, scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot and post them.

There's no need to close anything before sleeping, unless you have some app that's preventing sleep.
    There is no need to restrict the size of your iTunes library. As long as you have sufficient disk space, it's fine. If you run out of space on your internal drive, you can split your library between internal and external drives.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations