Sleep HD issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tlinford, Jun 16, 2012.

1. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

HardDrive not going to Sleep?

I have just upgraded by 3 year old MacBook Pro. To extend it somewhat, I put in 8GByte RAM and replaced the 246 Gbyte HD with a 500Gbyte one (Samsung device).

However, I've noticed something which is troubling me.. I usually have by MacBook sitting in a Cradle hooked up to a monitor with a Bluetooth Keyboard and TrackPad. This was the configuration before upgrading and this has worked no problem for 3 years.

Now, however I noticed having put the machine to sleep at returning a but later that the computer was warm. When I put my ear to the machine I can hear the HD spinning.

I don't know why this is? Can anyone help me please?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is because your MBP woke up and isn't actually sleeping.
    What does the power indicator led tell you?

I doubt it has anything to with your HDD. Something is waking the MBP up. That could be USB signals from mouse, keyboard, external drive or network stuff LAN, Wifi, or applications that set wakeup timers and other bugs.

The HDD cannot cause that. OSX tells the notebook to sleep and once it finished writing the RAM image it tells the HDD to spindown and cuts its power. There is nothing the HDD can do about it.

3. tlinford thread starter macrumors regular

tlinford

Thanks, but.

Thanks for this, but, the MacBook went to sleep with the original HD ok, put this one in have imaged it from the old and the disk keeps spinning, weird?

The Power light is not flashing.

I usually have a firewire external plugged in, dismounted it, unplugged it not different, also switched off the bluetooth keyboard and trackpad, no difference?

4. tlinford thread starter macrumors regular

tlinford

Off Power goes to sleep.

Ok, this is getting strange. When I take it off external power, the machine goes to sleep correctly...

Since I have going to sleep set to minimal times for both battery and on power, why is this...

Does anyone know why being on AC power should prevent my MAC going to sleep?