sleep / hibernation mode on laptops

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Planner Dude, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

I really like sleep mode in OSX. It's a breath of fresh air compared to my windows experience, however, there are times that I'd like to use a hibernation or deep sleep mode.

While my laptop is running off an ac adapter, I'd like to always use standard sleep mode, but when my laptop is running off it's battery, I'd like the laptop to first go into sleep mode and then hibernation after a specified amount of time. This way if I close the lid and forget to plug the laptop back in before going to bed, I won't waste any energy.

Does anyone j=know if there are options within OSX or freeware applications that will accomplish my goals?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

It will drop into hibernation mode when the battery runs out and you can use pmset to force hibernation all the time but I don't know of any way you can sleep for a set period of time then hibernate

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've never tried it, but you could try this widget: Deep Sleep.

4. Planner Dude thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks or the reply but.....

deep sleep doesn't do what I want to to do:

When running on battery only:

a. Go into regular sleep mode after X number of minutes / when lid is closed.
    b. After X number of minutes in regular sleep mode, go into hibernation mode.

When running off of an A/C CURRENT:

Go into regular sleep mode after X number of minutes / when lid is closed.