sleep issue - why is it waking?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Whitesockcat, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Whitesockcat macrumors newbie

I have a new MacPro set to "sleep" at midnight. The past few nights at about 1 am and 3.30am the computer wakes itself (and me) up? Why is it waking?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Do you use any utility or maintenance apps? It could be those or a good 'ol fashioned cron script going through a routine cleaning. What applications do you leave running at night?

3. Whitesockcat thread starter macrumors newbie

I have Macaroni installed and set for its default time of midnight and whatever random apps are open like mail, safari, photoshop. How do I determine if it is a cron script? Shouldn't the computer sleep through the script?

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I have Macaroni too, and out of all of them that might be the only possible application that would wake your computer. I'd have a look a the Macaroni log and see if any of the times and dates correspond to when your Mac wakes up. Also you could try adjusting the times to 2 minutes into the future, sleep the computer and see if it wakes up.

5. dougeb macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 24" iMac with bluetooth mouse & keyboard.
    I find that when mouse or keyboard batteries are low (51%), the computer wakes. I have not found a way to prevent this from happening, yet.
    Anybody know how to prevent this from happening. 51% does not seem
    like low battery.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It has nothing to do with your keyboard battery level. Read the link I posted.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Probably less likely but if another computer is screen sharing with this computer then you can put it to sleep and it will keep waking up. The only way to prevent that is to quit screen sharing on the other computer or disable screen sharing on this one. I occasionally forget and leave my work computer screen sharing with my home computer, and then when I get home at night the home computer will not stay asleep.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

That list is not complete. See my post regarding screen sharing.

9. Whitesockcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I went through the list of possible reasons for why the computer wakes, and it is not Bluetooth, spotlight, sharing or iTunes. It might be FinalCut which auto saves - I guess I'll try quitting that app and see what happens

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From that link:
    Screen sharing falls into the "additional software" category.

11. Whitesockcat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, it was not Final Cut. The computer woke at exactly 3.30 am. How should I set up activity monitor so I can find out what is causing the computer to wake?

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Do you have "wake for Ethernet network access" enabled in Energy Saver under System Preferences? It will wake up for a minute or so every so often when this is enabled and will go back to sleep on its own.

13. Whitesockcat thread starter macrumors newbie

I had wake for network access checked. I'lll see what happens tonight. But wake for network access has always been checked and I think this is a new issue....