Sleep issue.

ggulliver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Recently my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017 - 10.14.6) enters some form of sleep whereby waking is slow - to a grayscale-type screen with a progress bar, following which the mouse is unresponsive.

I'd like to get back to how things used to be - simple nudge of mouse, or key-click, brings almost-instant readiness.

Suggestions appreciated - please/thanks/etcetera.

UPDATE... just read that this behavior (Mac might enter Safe Sleep if left idle for a long time) is normal for 'iMac (Late 2012) and later' - though I've had this machine for a year and never yet experienced it until recently.

Last edited:

TwoH

macrumors regular
May 19, 2019
Have you disabled sleep? This is what happens when you disable the sleep on Late 2015 iMacs when you are using an NVMe

Edit: Have you tried to reset your energy saver preferences?

mj_

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Have you recently installed and run any software that promised to make your Mac "2X FASTER!!!!!" or any other so-called "optimization" tools?

ggulliver

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
Have you disabled sleep? This is what happens when you disable the sleep on Late 2015 iMacs when you are using an NVMe

Edit: Have you tried to reset your energy saver preferences?
Thanks.
No, sleep isn't disabled.
I use USB externals.
Prefs have recently been changed to not 'enable power nap'.
- - Post merged: - -

Have you recently installed and run any software that promised to make your Mac "2X FASTER!!!!!" or any other so-called "optimization" tools?
- - Post merged: - -

Thanks.

No, all that might have been done is auto OS update to whatever is current.