Sleep issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bigboy99, Apr 25, 2007.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

My G4 PB is not waking up correctly, mainly the wireless networking, causing a total lockup and the need to hard shut down with the power button. Everything works fine unless I put it to sleep and then reawaken after a few hours. I'm using the power adapter and running 10.4.9 OS.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried resetting the PMU? What sort of third party hardware do you have plugged in? Do you have any apps running before you sleep the machine?

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have not tried resetting the PMU. I have a Maxtor HD on the FW 800 port, and a HP6150 on the USB port. The issue appears to be the Internet Connect to the D-Link WIreless Router. The connection is lost during sleep, and hangs the recovery.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's normal that the connection is lost during sleep. A good place to start would be to disconnect your peripherals and then see how it goes. :)

5. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Ive noticed the same thing happening almost. My iMac has an external drive now plugged in via firewire and when the mac is put to sleep it wakes back up within a minute. I assumed it was the ext drive doing it.

I may try to eject the drive then power it down and then see how sleep works.

I cannot fathom what else could be doing it on mine.

6. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

But it is not normal to see the technicolor wheel forever after awakening. It's definitely a network crash. The correct scenario is the wireless is recognized and reconnects. Once this starts the computer needs to be restarted to end the loop. I reset the PMU, but no change in the problem.

I have the usual apps running - Firefox, Mail, iCal, Excel, and Finder.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...And does it still happen when your peripherals are unplugged?

8. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't had the opportunity to unplug the peripherals and see what happens, but will do that when I return from traveling.

If the removing one or both of them cures the symptom, where lies the problem? Is there a link between the hardwired stuff and Airport not being able to connect to the router?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well the link might just be power supply and demand. Your Mac may be struggling to power all devices appropriately at wake up time. This is just a guess at this stage though.

10. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

The G4 PB should be able to handle these two devices. When asleep they're both idling. When wakened maybe the HD spins up, but the printer stays in idle mode. Airport wakes up and connects - more of a software funciton, right?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It should be able to, yeah, but I'm just trying to narrow down possible causes of the problem. Software and hardware are very closely related on Macs which can sometimes make troubleshooting problems like this a little difficult. If you're really convinced it's a software problem then reset the PMU again and then reinstall the 10.4.9 combo update. Both are a stab in the dark, but they may help. :)

12. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

After trying different combinations of attached devices and open software I took the problem to the Genius Bar. One genius told me it was OS corruption, and I should Archive and Install, or Format and Reinstall. The other said it may be a sensor on the HD. One recommended Disk Warrior, the other said don't bother. It's a good thing they didn't quote this thread. :rolleyes:

I'll learn to live with it until the cause becomes more obvious.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha, fair enough. So did you manage to try the combo update reinstall then?

14. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I reset the PMU again, and reinstalled the 4.9 combo pack. I've done a hardware analysis, and disk & permissions repair form the OS install disk. No difference noted.

I have noticed that the custom settings in the System Prefs/Energy have no effect on sleep. the only way the OS sleeps is if I close the lid, or use the Apple menu option. This could mean the there are corrupted files, or somehow the energy settings aren't being received by the HD. I think I'll try a archive and install to see if an OS replacement will cure the issue. Otherwise, I'll have to send it off to the "depot" for a new HD.

I'm traveling for two weeks, but will check back in to this thread as I stumble along with the problem.

15. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

The problem only seems to occur when the FW 800 port (Maxtor) and/or the USB port (HP printer, Tascam audio/MIDI interface & Pantone Huey) are connected (it doesn't seem to matter - one, or both at the same time), and the sleep is started by the Preference Energy settings. Many times this setting doesn't work at all, with or without preriferals attached.

The lockup has never occured when I manually sleep the computer.