Sleep Issues w/ new 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ChopinGuy, Mar 29, 2012.

1. ChopinGuy macrumors newbie

As the title indicates I am having issue with my new 27" iMac waking from sleep. I have the stock 2.7 i5 which I added 8GB of ram to for 12GB total -- this is connected to a Thunderbolt Display as well.

I have been having issues with the computer not responding after it's been in sleep for an extended period -- like overnight. I have to wind up turning the computer off and then back on to get it to wake up. I know the machine is still running when it doesn't respond as I hear the hard drive power down as I hold the power button to restart.

Called apple and they took me through some rudeimentry things and also had me repair some permissions on the hard drive in the disk utility. Yet yesterday morning the computer was locked again. It seems that putting the hard drive to sleep is the cause of the problem as it appears to be ok if I disable 'put hard drive to sleep' in the power save menu.

Any ideas or help on this would be greatly appreciated...

2. ChopinGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the prompt response -- but none of those links seems to be the issue I'm having. Computer goes to sleep fine, it locks while asleep for some reason. I have even had error message pop up upon restarting with an error report...

Very frustrating as this is my first Apple to have had any issue with after 12 years of totally flawless experiences with Macs...

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sorry, I misread your post. It appears after some research that many others are having the same problem. I haven't seen any resolution.

4. Soulflower macrumors regular

Soulflower

I had a similar issue which we though was a bluetooth issue after overnight sleep mode. Apple replaced the logic board, bluetooth card and antennae and it still occurred. We changed the router settings to make sure there was no interference. I reinstalled the OS with no 3rd party applications, etc, etc, etc...

Finally, after dealing with it for MONTHS, Apple replaced the computer. I still don't know what the problem really was but this one is fine.

5. ChopinGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes -- seems others have had the issue but I can't seems a resolution. I should be able to put the HD to sleep without a problem. I wonder if it could indeed be a hardware issue somehow and not software?

I am going to call apple again, but it seems the next step will be to reinstall the OS and if that doesn't work then a total complete recovery -- is what I was told on the phone. Luckily I haven't put much on the computer as of yet...

6. ChopinGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

As an update to this issue I have been on the phone numerous times with apple, did all kinds of resets and also reinstalled the OS -- not complete clean install but the reinstall over existing files.

Last night I thought I would try unplugging the Thunderbolt display to see if it would be locked in the morning -- low and behold it wasn't. So it seems having the external display connected is the problem. I'm having a hard tim swallowing that I can't use this display with a brand new apple desktop. Anyone else running a similar set-up with any issues??

7. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

Mine did the same thing once dont remember how i fixed it

8. steve123 macrumors 6502

Hello,

I had this problem quite a while ago and researched the problem extensively. I believe the root cause of the problem for me is related to sleeping hard disk drives. In my case, I had to disable "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" option in the Energy Saver preferences.

I was hoping that an OS update would correct the problem. I attempted to enable the preference a couple weeks ago after installing 10.7.4 and the sleep problem started again. It caused severe corruption of the system disk that required a recovery boot and disk repair. I disabled the preference and the problem has not recurred. My conclusion is that this problem has not been resolved.

I do allow the computer to sleep.