sleep issues with 10.9?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Freyqq, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a new retina macbook pro 15" with 750M, and it won't sleep properly in OSX. If any external monitor is connected, when told to sleep, it will turn off the monitors and remain on..getting really hot (powernap is off). If no external monitor is connected, when told to sleep, it sleeps normally. Anyone else have this issue?

2. glhughes macrumors regular

I have not seen this particular issue but I have seen others with power management.

The power settings seem to be completely ignored (machine goes to sleep after 5 minutes without showing the screensaver; my settings say stay awake for 15 -> screen saver -> sleep after 20).

And just this morning, the computer got into some weird state where waking it did not prompt for a password but still let me get to the desktop. That seems like a huge security problem for a laptop! None of the OS-hooked keyboard or mouse controls (e.g. brightness buttons, screensaver hotspots) were working. I could activate the same functionality through system prefs though. Closing and reopening the lid had no effect. The system also failed to reboot through the UI and I had to drop to a terminal to restart.

These are not the only problems I have had with Mavericks. IMHO, it's just not ready for prime-time. I am strongly considering going back to 10.8 after this latest problem. If the security features of the OS are this unreliable it's not something I am comfortable using on a portable machine.