Sleep Issues with 3rd Party SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TPrather302, Aug 13, 2012.

1. TPrather302 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm having a weird issue that I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me sort out.

I used the OWC Data Doubler to install a Crucial M4 SSD (on the latest firmware) in my optical bay and I am loving the performance increase, but I've noticed a couple of weird things.

1) About half of the time, when I click on 'Sleep' from the apple menu, the computer just goes to a black screen and the cursor beach-balls for hours until I hold down the power button to turn it off. The other half of the time, it goes instantly to sleep.

2) My mac used to last for days in sleep mode, but now, the battery drains very quickly even in sleep mode, with the light on the front pulsing to show sleep mode, the battery drains in about 8 hours when it used to last days without a noticeable drop.

I really love my SSD, I just want to sort these things out so please let me know if you have any advice or solutions! (Specs below)

Thanks!
    500Gb Hard Drive in original bay
    256Gb Crucial M4 SSD in optical bay

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Put the SSD in the main HDD bay and the HDD in the optibay and see if the problem persists.

3. TPrather302 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe that fixed it! It's sleeping and waking from sleep instantly now, and the battery doesn't drain in sleep!

The only funny thing is that when using the Cmd+Opt+Eject to 'instant sleep', I have to let off the keys very quickly or else the computer is already asleep and wakes up to me releasing the keys! :D

Thank you!!