Sleep issues with Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fpetters, Feb 12, 2008.

1. fpetters macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I recently bought a refurbished 17 Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz computer and have had a few issues. I am trying to find out if they are unique to my computer, or more widespread. Also, I want to find out if they are hardware or software problems.

Problem 1: Many of my programs quit unexpectedly. These programs including Safari, Word X, Powerpoint X, and a few others. Safari is the biggest problem since sometimes it does it when I am not using it (Safari page is open in the background).

Problem 2: My computer has bad sleep problems. When I shut the lid, the computer does not go to sleep. But when I open it, it goes to sleep. Also, if it is sitting on my desk it will not always go to sleep, but the screen will go blank and the light will stay lit (will not go in and out). Also, if I put the computer to sleep and shut the lit, it turns on when I pick the computer up and move it around. Some notes: when I put a magnet close to the sleep sensor the computer goes to sleep. I can get a paper clip to stick to my screen (where the magnet is located). So these work fine.

Any help or ideas for these two issues would be very appreciated. I use the computer for work and cannot send it in to Apple Car to get it fixed.

Thanks,

Fredrik

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

1. Repair Disk Permission (use disk utilities)
    2. Download Onyx or similar app and run maintenance script
    3. If all fails, call AppleCare

3. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

You have a paperclip that sticks to the screen on a MBP? Based on my understanding, there is no magnet on the screen of MBP, so it should not stick there.

Also, how long do you wait for the computer to go to sleep. Can you put it to sleep using the Apple menu?

4. fpetters thread starter macrumors newbie

If I set it up to go to sleep after 1 min. then it will act like it is in sleep mode but the light will stay lit and will not go in and out.

5. djeans macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm having the exact same sleep issue with my Macbook Pro 17. It started after I had apple do some repairs in which they replaced the screen and keyboard. Not sure if it is related, but you never know.

Were you ever able to resolve the issue?

I'm beginning to think that it has something to do with my lid not closing securely, and there being a small gap between the lid and computer right where the sensor is.

6. afultz075 macrumors member

Just so you know, I am having the exact same sleep issue where my MBP will not go to sleep when it's supposed to...the screen will go black and the light will stay solidly lit but it will not go to sleep.

7. Kaupa macrumors regular

Same here!
    And the most annoying thing is tht it goes to sleep when i OPEN the MBP again:-(

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

After replacing the hard drive on my 2.33 mbp it now only goes to sleep when I close the lid. If I select sleep from the menu it just sits there (still on) w/ a blank screen and lit sleep light. not really sure what it is :confused:

9. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Try resetting the SMC and download/install all updates.

10. djeans macrumors newbie

I know. I was having that exact same problem. Talk about frustrating. If you pass a magnet over the sensor, it should wake it up for you.

Darron

11. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

resetting the SMC did the trick for me. thanks

12. djeans macrumors newbie

13. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

Look, I LOVE my MBP, but I draw the line at sleeping with it!:D:eek::rolleyes::D