Sleep Issues with Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheJoelster, Dec 25, 2013.

1. TheJoelster macrumors newbie

I recently purchased a Retina MacBook Pro 13 (2013) and installed Windows 8.1 with EFI on a partition using bootcamp. Everything in it appears to work near perfectly with a single exception. Whenever I close the lid to put it into sleep mode, it will not resume and I am forced to trigger a hard reboot with the power button.

As I'm coming from a Windows machine I really would prefer to stick with Windows and having the sleep functionality is very important to me. I've looked around and haven't been able to find a solution, so I'm hoping that it isn't simply to "wait until Apple releases new drivers".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on fixing this.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Boot Camp and EFI are mutually exclusive. You couldn't have done both. If you used EFI, try installing with Boot Camp Assistant.

Then you should have bought a Windows machine. Boot Camp is a courtesy provided by Apple and not meant to be the way the machine is run on a daily basis.

3. TheJoelster thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just tried putting it into sleep mode again and for some reason it is no longer having the aforementioned issues. Sleeps/wakes fine. In addition, I've just verified within Windows that I'm installed as UEFI, and everything's working perfectly, so I'm not really sure that performing a reinstall is necessary.

Not to enter into a battle of operating system preference here, but when you say "not meant to be the way the machine is run on a daily basis" is that in reference to its original designed use or something else entirely? The thing I've regularly heard about MacBook Pros in the past has been that they're "better Windows machines than Windows machines." And for the record, the performance that I've seen even under Windows would indicate that.