Sleep Light broken on brand new Macbook :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by riko, Apr 2, 2008.

1. riko macrumors regular

Hey Guys

Just got my brand new black Macbook today. Have been setting it up for the last hour and already its developed a fault. I noticted the sleep light flashing on for a second every now and again. After about 10 mins it lit up and is now on constantly. I have tried rebooting and it doesnt help. If I put it to sleep the light stays solid and doesnt pulse. I have cleared the PRAM and reset the PMU (or SMU).

Any suggestions? If not I'll have to make a trip to the apple store tomorrow

Graham

2. f1 macrumors 6502

if its new don't bother troubleshooting it, just take it back.

3. jorge66 macrumors newbie

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

He means the white led on the front RH corner of the MacBook - it should pulse when the computer is sleeping and be off when the machine is running.

The OP's seems to be misbehaving.

5. riko thread starter macrumors regular

Yep thats the one, sleep light bottom right. This morning I switched it back on to make sure I wasnt going to look silly in the apple store. It now seems to be doing the opposite. Was off when the machine was on (good) but was still off when I put it sleep (bad!).

Ive packed it back into its box. Any one know if its ok to take it to the store when I bought it from apples online shop?

cheers

Graham

6. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Yeah its okay to take it to a apple store even if you bought it online. For me its faster to run to the actual store then to send it off.

7. riko thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently not in the UK. The genius told me that I have to call applecare to get it swapped as the online stock and store stock are different :( He said they could try to repair it but as its new I should call up to have it replaced

On the phone to them now. Seems very complicated to get it swapped out. Call centre in india didnt seem to know what a sleep light was :(

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Now there is a surprise....

I think the problem is that the machine is still within the 2 weeks swap-out period so you can return the machine for any/no reason.

After that period the Apple Store will do any warranty repairs necessary... but your machine is probably in the DOA scenario - so they want you to return it to the Online store.

9. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I wish my sleep light was broken, annoys the hell out of me!

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Take it apart and pull out the plug for the LED :p

11. riko thread starter macrumors regular

OK its getting swapped out....I think :confused: After explaining the problem and the fact I had been into the Buchanan Street Store twice or three times I was put through to another department and spoke to an american person. He said I will get a call from a courier to arrange a pick up time on my mobile. I will also get confirmation of a new computer being sent out by email. But thats all i really have. still kinda seems up in the air. no idea when this new one is coming.

graham:(

12. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

take it to the apple store and they might just tell u to send it to apple depends if its lik a huge apple store they will probably just give you a new or refeb which is better my brother did that with his ipod and they gave him a referb one he sent it one day and on day later it was at our house

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You should be ok (been there, done that) - it all seems up in the air just now but you will get a call from TNT to arrange the collection and the new one will be shipped from wherever they ship them from (it will probably be shipped UPS from Ireland).

New one should be fine and maybe better spec than your existing one.

Speaking from experience and about 30 miles south of the Buchanan Street store !!

14. riko thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that. The Apple store in glasgow said they would give me a new if I had bought it in an apple store. As I bought online it has to be returned and replaced.

Thanks logana! Makes me feel more confident. As the macbooks are only a month old and I bought the top spec one I should not see a difference. Will need to keep mobile near to get call from TNT. Just hope they realise it should be a new Macbook not a refurb as its less that 2 days old!

Graham

15. riko thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhhhhh

OK, just when I thought it was all working out things go slightly wrong again!

Got an email on Friday stating the return number and that I would be contacted by courier in 48 hours. Later I got an email saying new laptop is being processes then later still another saying it had been sent!! (woo)

Today I got a call from TNT to collect the broken machine. I said this afternoon (between 1 and 5) should be OK but I would check to make sure that someone would be home. Turns out no one would so called TNT (spoke to very nice people) and they re-arranged for Wednesday afternoon. then about 11:40 TNT turned up at my house! My sister called me as she had not been expected them (and was just about to leave house). I said to tell the driver I had re-arranged for Wednesday and that I still had to seal the box and write the return number on it. The driver apparently told her not to worry, stuck it down, slapped on a bar code and left a proof of return slip!!!

Now I'm panicking cos its not got the return number.

grrr

(sorry for ranting!!)

Graham

16. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Hi again - don't worry - when Apple get the shipment back they will scan the serial number on the box (and the machine) and they will be able to work out who it is from !

The bar-code from TNT will also match up with job number (returns number).

Been there as well - I ended up with 2 replacements for a MacBook (long story) for several months but Apple did sort it out eventually. If your replacement machine has shipped then you should be receiving e-mail invoices for that machine shortly and an e-mail credit-note for the machine you returned.

17. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Got periods?

18. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes I thought it was a very helpful post too - he was probably too busy installing Leopard onto his MacBook off his friends iMac (don't ask)

19. Knickie macrumors newbie

Sleep Light

I have a problem with my sleep light, but my Mac is an older iBook G3 that I've had for a few years and which works perfectly. I took it on a trip last week (an academic conference) and carried it around in its padded tote bag, but since I've been home the sleep light isn't going on. It goes to sleep, wakes up, shuts down, everything works perfectly -- except the sleep light no longer goes on or pulsates. I was feeling around the unit and found that if I pressed it in a certain place (left side near the front) -- viola! the light goes on. But when I let it go, it stops. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it, since everything else seems to be fine, but what's going on? Did something get broken? Shook loose? Knocked out of whack? I don't want my little machine to be damaged! I can't afford a new one!