Sleep light off?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Is there no way to shut off the sleep light when closing the mbp lid? I put it to sleep overnight and my batter is almost full. when i wake up and wake up the mbp in the morning my battery is drained because of the sleep light running all night long.

And then let me not start about the whole issue of it often being pointless and illuminating the room if you put the mbp close to you or on your desk next to the bed.

It's a shame they still haven't put a on/ off option in system preferences.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Wirelessly posted (iPhone G3 (64GB, 2.4): Mozilla/7.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_4 like Mac OS X; en-ca) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Geico) Version/3.7.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

No, you cannot disable the sleep light. If your battery is almost drained in the morning, it isn't because of the little light. There is something else going on.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

haha the sleep light is just a single LED and will hardly use any battery over night. the battery power that was drained was used to power the RAM and the other parts/mechanisms used to wake a sleeping notebook when the lid is opened. just leave it plugged in… wont hurt the battery.

also i just cover the light with something or hibernate my MacBook Pro at night becuase the pulsating light is so damn annoying in a pitch black room.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I don't think this is normal.

5. nightelf macrumors 6502

If you sleep your MBP with the display open, the light sensors will dim the sleep light.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

its more of a bios, or rather, EFI thing.

most if not all computers (i.e. desktops) don't allow you to disable any indicator LEDs, whether it be power, HDD, or sleep.

perhaps it was waking up overnight by itself.

i dont think the start up process or the supply of power to RAM would kill the battery overnight. Try doing a calibration. How old is the battery and how many cycles?

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think it is. RAM is powered so when you wake it your right off where you left. how else do you think sleep works?

remember this is a notebook where talking about. its not fully off when sleeping and it has to get energy from somewhere when unplugged… its not using fusion/fission to get energy.

8. 7even macrumors 6502a

WHAT?! :eek: Back it goes. I was expecting it to contain a fission reactor, bah

9. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

You can tick a box to put the HD to sleep when possible. This will help a bit.

I leave my BlackBook sleeping over night after a full charge and it only uses about 12 minutes of battery life!

10. Regaj macrumors member

No, it's not a sleep light issue. A sleeping notebook will last for many days, only slowly losing its power.

Most likely you're experiencing the same thing a number of us are - an unreliable sleep state. It keeps waking up once every 45 seconds or so, then going back to sleep, then waking up again, ad nauseum.

Hopefully Apple will have a software fix for it shortly.

11. lauralou macrumors newbie

One of the Top Ten PB annoyances

LEDs that can't be "turned off" -- particularly the green pulsating PB LED that permeates a dark room even if it's 2 rooms away through the crack of the open doors. Seriously, I finally taped a piece of opaque black fabric across the light--and the apple logo--for that reason. Yes, I should just shut everything down all the time to save power...but don't always know that the last lid-down is the good-night one...