Sleep Magnet Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LightDemon69, Apr 27, 2008.

1. LightDemon69 macrumors member

OK, a few months ago, I upgraded my iBook G4 from a CD-ROM drive to a Combo Drive. However, I lost the sleep magnet somewhere along the road. (the magnet that activates the reed switch that puts the computer to sleep when closed) Does anyone know if the magnet on one of the screws under the keyboard would work to replace it? And also, what is the magnet under the keyboard even for? And also, if it won't work as a replacement, where could I buy a new magnet?

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I tested it with the keyboard magnet and it does work. Now I have absolutely no idea why that magnet is even there in the first place. What model G4 ibook do you have? The pre-1.33ghz had the magnet under the palm rest while the reed switch was in the LCD bezel but on the 1.33+ had the switch on the cd-rom drive and the magnet under the right bezel. If you need either part, I can give it to you for the price of shipping if you don't want to use the keyboard magnet.

3. LightDemon69 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I've tested the same magnet, and it worked on mine too. What I was wondering is if it would fit in the spot that the other magnet fits in, and don't want to spend 2 + hours opening the iBook just for it not to work. It is the 1 GHz iBook G4 in my sig.