Sleep mode after battery discharging

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jotamurray, May 31, 2008.

1. jotamurray macrumors member

Hi,
    I have just got a blackbook with leopard and have noticed that when the battery discharges the system totally shuts down.

On my PB with tiger when the battery discharges it goes into sleep mode and when I pluy the AC it comes back to life.

Is there a way to configure the blackbook to go to sleep mode instead of shuting down? thnx

2. chscag macrumors 65816

3. jotamurray thread starter macrumors member

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Your macbook should go to sleep like the powerbook does.

You should probably calibrate your battery. Just follow the instruction from apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9036.html

Calibration will make your system aware of the true capacity of your battery. Currently your system thinks the battery still have enough power and it doesn't go to sleep soon enough. So it just shutdown because the battery is empty.

If it doesn't work post here again.

5. jotamurray thread starter macrumors member

I have just read this article but don't really understand why this process is called "calibrating the battery". When i use the macbook on the battery power i always allow it to fully uncharge and when I plug the AC I always let it fully charge before I disconect again.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Do you also let the Mac sleep for five hours or longer as indicated in step 5?

Step 5

Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.
    ------

Try it following exactly what is written. Usually the battery goes to sleep with still some charge. Leaving it sleeping for some hours make sure the battery is uncharged completely. I understand your point though: since it does shutdown because the battery is empty why bother with the waiting?

If it doesn't resolve the problem reset the PMU (SMC).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

You may have to recalibrate then.

If that also doesn't work I would call Apple, especially if you are still under warranty.

7. jotamurray thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm maybe you are right. When I fully run out of battery I may not wait 5 hrs or longer. I will let you know. Thanks for your help.

8. jotamurray thread starter macrumors member

WOW!! It works :):) Thanks a lot Misterredman!!!!!