Sleep mode and battery drain

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nia820, Jul 6, 2012.

1. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I'm quite new to mac. I was told to put my computer(macbook pro 13 inch 2012 model) in sleep mode when im not using it instead of shutting it down. however my battery drains while it is sleep mode. i will leave my computer in sleep mode for about 2 or 3 hours and when i open it and great deal of the battery has drained. is there a way to cut down on the battery drain while it is in sleep mode. or is it better to just shut it down.

2. rjg125 macrumors newbie

You can read all about it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23 but in short that is not normal. Battery should drain a little every hour when in sleep mode but nothing considerable. For example. I charged my rMBP last night and when I went to bed it was 100% charged, I unplugged it and closed the screen so it goes to sleep. This morning the battery showed 99% charge. Sometimes the same routine has other results like 97 or 98% but in short the drainage should be minimal.

Now it's possible your machine was not actually 'sleeping' during those times. Sometimes Spotlight is indexing when I notice quick drainage on my battery. I am not sure if Spotlight runs while in sleep mode, but that could be a reason. Run a few tests before you decide there is a problem.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I can confirm a problem with my rMBP and sleep mode. Last night when leaving work I explicitly put it in sleep mode through the Apple menu, rather than just closing the lid. It was fully charged, having been plugged in all day.

It remained closed and unplugged all night in its sleeve until I arrived at work this morning, and my battery was down to 42% - not as much as it would be down if I'd been using it those 16 hours, but way more than it should lose if really sleeping.

My suspicion is that the firmware changes that allow for the Power Nap feature in Mountain Lion are causing it to wake up under Lion.

My Energy Saver settings under Battery Power are:

Computer Sleep: 3 Minutes
    Display Sleep: 1 Minute
    Put the hard drive to sleep when possible.

So even if I'd forgotten to put it in sleep mode and left the lid open, it should have slept very soon after I unplugged it. I think I'll start shutting it down when transporting it until Mountain Lion is out.

4. fleawannabe macrumors regular

My battery on my 2012 MBP 13" drains about 1% for every hour it is asleep. Is that ok?

5. cshel24 macrumors member

Mine is about the same.