Sleep Mode and Battery Usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReelAction, Jan 20, 2011.

1. ReelAction macrumors member

While using battery power, and leaving the clamshell open on my mid 2010 MBP, it appears to "sleep" in 3 minutes or so, which is my pref setting while "Battery" mode.
    But, when I return, like 6-8 hours later, the battery has run flat, and when it went to "sleep", it was between 70-80%.
    If I remember to close the clamshell lid, the battery drain is much less severe after 6-8 hours, maybe down an additional 10%
    Several questions for those with more experience than I;
    - are there a user settings other than "Energy Saver" pref that I am overlooking, to enable a lower power "Sleep" mode?
    - Does Time Machine continue to run in "Sleep" mode, and yes I do have it set to backup while on battery power?
    - Is the Sleep mode different with the lid open versus closed? If so, any idea why?
    - Will routinely resetting SMC, PRAM, and NVRAM improve this situation?
    - Is their 3rd party s/w that I should consider?

All input is appreciated.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Under normal circumstances, your MBP should consume about 1% of battery power for every hour of sleep. If you have anything attached that draws power from the MBP, that can increase significantly. If nothing else is attached, it's possible it's not staying in sleep mode for the entire time.

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    No, nothing runs in sleep mode.
    If your MBP is in sleep mode, no difference. Make sure it's not just the display turned off with your MBP still running, as opposed to your MBP sleeping.
    NVRAM/PRAM has nothing to do with battery, power or charging. There is no need to reset SMC unless you have a specific problem that requires it.
    No.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

4. ReelAction thread starter macrumors member

GG - thanks for the thorough input, much appreciated.

Now the follow up question, how does one confirm that the MBP is truly in computer sleep mode when the lid is open, as opposed to just the display sleeping?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Press Option+Command+Eject to put it into sleep mode. You can tell when the light on the front of your MBP is slowly pulsing.