Sleep mode - High Power consumption??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nipponfan, Nov 21, 2008.

1. nipponfan macrumors regular

I've set my MBP in sleep mode (I closed the lid - I guess that's the sleep mode). Today I noticed, that the Battery lost more than 10% Power. WTF - is that normal??? Somebody told me once he set his Old Powerbook in sleep mode and used it almost 2 weeks later and hardly lost any power.

Is there something wrong with my MBP?

2. prutje macrumors newbie

I have a MB (not a MBP) and am experiencing the same problem.
    Others are having the same issues as well...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1758587&tstart=0

Hopefully there will be an update to fix this soon.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

From what I've experienced, that's perfectly normal. Most of the power is used by the RAM, which must always be powered when the computer is turned on. Otherwise it would lose all the data in it.

4. prutje macrumors newbie

This summer I also bought a previous gen white MB in the USA. Comparing the amount of battery usage of the old MB with the new MB (2.4 ghz, 4 GB ram) when in sleep mode, I can say that the new MB uses MUCH more battery power, almost two to three times as much.

5. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Don't forget: The unibody models have smaller capacity batteries.

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Having an Air and a new MBP, it seems Apple not only used the Air's construction techniques but also some of it's quirky power management features and the sleep battery usage is one of them.

7. hari-bhari macrumors regular

i mean ddr3 ram actually consumes less power than ddr2. and my last MBP did not use nearly as much power in sleep mode as this one does. im hoping it can be fixed with a s/w or fw update...cuz i really count on being able to pop it into my bag and use it later in the day without much battery loss.

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

My Macbook Pro battery is over 2 years old and I can go a week or two with it just in sleep mode.

9. LeonAnderson macrumors newbie

After doing some tests, I found that the battery usually drains 25% / 12 hours of sleep.

(Late 2008 MBP 2.53Ghz)

10. EmSeta macrumors newbie

Same problem here. I hope it's fixable through a firmware update.

11. rwskemer macrumors regular

Similar experience here. I had my MBP in sleep mode for close to 6 hours and I lost around 13% of my battery. My older MB had much better battery life in sleep mode...