Sleep mode question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fubar65, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Fubar65 macrumors newbie

I am still a newbie when it comes to my new macbook, so sorry for the newb questions. Anyways I noticed the other day something weird about my sleep mode. When I put the computer to sleep and let it sit for anywhere between like a minute to hours, when I open the lid back up, it almost instantly pops back on. However if I put my macbook to sleep close the lid, and remember that I forgot to log off of aim or something, when I open it like 3 seconds after closing the lid, it takes about 15 seconds for everything to kick back on.

My question is, why does take so much longer to kick back on when I just barely put it to sleep, but if it has been asleep much longer, it pops on automatically?

Also, is it bad if I just put it to sleep and 5 seconds later go to wake it up because I forgot to do something?

Thanks and much appreciation for all of your help.

-Fubar65

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

When you close the lid your macbook writes the content of the ram to disc, to prepare for the Safe Sleep (in the event of the battery being completely drained). This process takes a bit of time and isn't probably terminated when you reopen after 3 seconds.
    When you open the lid after more time that process is already finished and the
    macbook responds immediately.

I don't think it's a problem to wake the mac a short time after putting it to sleep, but if you can wait at least until the sleep light is pulsing, to be sure the mac is properly sleeping.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Hey Fubar -

Sounds like when you described the "after a minute.... that was true sleep and the MacBook responded correctly. You can tell that it's asleep from the pulsating light in the front.

The 3 seconds after close thing, I doubt that the MB was all the way asleep. It was on it's way but not there yet. The light was probably not pulsating yet. To try and resume at this point may be difficult for your MB and hence, the wait time.

If you put your MB to sleep or start in that direction, I'd wait the 15-20 seconds or so for the light to pulsate before reopening the lid.

- GDF