Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allenke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2010
I am new to this forum, but hoping I can get an answer here. When placing my Macbook Pro in sleep mode by closing the lid, it goes into sleep mode, but immediately turns back on (with the lid closed), then after a short time goes back into sleep mode and then immediately turns back on. It keeps cycling like this. Any clues to why it will not stay in the sleep mode? Thanks.

allenke

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
I think I read that Apple doesn't have a native program to keep it from sleeping when you shut the lid. You can get third party apps that will stop it from going to sleep when you shut the lid. I use InsomniaX. Works great :]

allenke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2010
My goal is to have the computer go to sleep, but it keeps waking up immediately after going to sleep even with the lid shut. I have nothing connected to it other than the power cord. No external keyboards. Thanks for you suggestions. I did consider the wirless connection as the possibility of causing it to not sleep, but when I turn airport off it still does it. Strange.

allenke

allenke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2010
ahhh! Doesn't seem to be doing it now. Not doing anything different, but fixed itself? Thanks everyone.

calsci

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Same thing happened to me but I had left my bluetooth mouse connected.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I've got the same issue but I've tried everything!
Disabled all my bluetooth, wireless and network connectivity and killed ALL the non essential/3rd parties apps I have running and STILL nothing.
I tried the magnet trick to trick it into thinking the lid was closed so I could see what was happening.
It goes to sleep then 15 seconds later wakes up again, then bout 2 seconds later it goes to sleep then 15 seconds later wakes up and so on. REALLY irritating cause ir runs my battery down so now if i'm not using it I have to shut down.
This only started after the 10.6.3 update.
I've tried resetting the SMC and repairing permissions but with no luck.

Anyone know anything at all that might help or am I gonna have to schlep to the genius bar so the 'genius' can stare blankly at my screen and shrug his shoulders again?
So glad I paid the extra £250 for applecare...not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.