Sleep or Power off?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by childoftheko4n, Oct 24, 2011.

1. childoftheko4n macrumors regular

Hey all, finally got my mini and loving it :) Just a quick question that I haven't seen posted on here directly.

Whats the general opinion on sleep vs shutting down? I know when I had my old MBP I would shut it down everynight, but have read a lot of people leave mini running and just sleep?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not necessary to shut down. Many users run weeks or months at a time without shutting down. Sleep is fine. There are dozens of threads on this, especially related to notebooks.

3. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I neither sleep nor powerdown my 2011 mini. It gets rebooted every once in awhile (generally to apply an update), but has otherwise been running solid since early September. I don't know if this is going to shorten its lifespan, but it doesn't seem to have any obvious issue. Temp rarely exceeds 40 C. Fan's never audible.

I actually wouldn't object to it sleeping, but it refuses to do so unless I actually tell it to from the menu. So I just let it idle.

4. a4ex macrumors newbie

a4ex

with the latest feature in Lion where you can resume to the state before shutting down there slam difference between them, but i have to agree with the others there is no reason to do any of them.

Personally i have set it to go to sleep if its inactive for more than 15 min and it works quite well.