Sleep or shut down? MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nedturskakao, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Nedturskakao macrumors member

Hi, i've heard that laptops (oh, "notebooks" sorry) should be shut down when moving them (for example to school in a bag) or else the harddrive will be destroyed. Is that right? Do i need to shut down my new UMBP everytime i go to school and have it in my bag?

And in general, can i just close the screen when i'm not using my computer, or do i have to put it to either sleep or turn it off when i'm not using it?

Hope you understand my questions!:)

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Closing the lid (sleep) is fine for transport. No need for shutdown.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

just close the screen and wait for the light on the front to start pulsing. It can take quite a few seconds for this to happen, as the MBP is writing all of the data in it's memory to disc then shutting the disc down, but once done you can move it as much as you like.

5. tdgrn macrumors 6502

When walking from classes, I just close close the lid and stick it in my bag. However when I am done with classes for the day, I shut it down when I am traveling back home in the car. This should be the same effect on you HD as the HD disc actually stops when the computer is asleep. This is why there is a slight lag when you open the comptuer up from sleep mode.

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I have owned apple laptops for 5 years and only ever shut down when the system requires it (ie new software), my laptops have 'slept' through airport security, if they can handle that they can handle anything!

7. Kr3st macrumors newbie

I think there is something wrong with my MBP, whenever I put it in my bag and its sleeping I can always hear it turn on, like even if I close my MBP and set it down a certain way or hold it a certain way it wakes up from sleep even though its closed. It doesn't make any sense to me.