Sleep or Shut Down?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sng08, Sep 21, 2010.

1. sng08 macrumors member

Hi All,

Having succesfully installed Windows XP via Boot Camp on my new iMac and with everything up & running I am wondering what is really best for my iMac?

From what I understand, when using OSX, you should never keep shutting it down all the time (unless you're going to be away from it for a while). It's best to put your Mac to sleep each night and restart the machine once a week. So what about Windows? Having used a PC all my life, I'm very used to just shutting the computer down everytime when I have finished what I've needed to do and booting it back up when required. I'm going to be using Windows extensively for the next year on the Mac, so should I put it on Stand-by or Hibernate each time I'm finished? Or is it safe to keep shutting it down?

Many thanks in advance

(Note: I have the SSD + HDD option installed. I assume if I keep shutting it down, the performance of the SSD will degrade far quicker?)

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Shutting down your computer, whether it is a pc or mac, doesn't hurt the computer. You can keep shutting it down as often as you like.

Things that will hurt the SSD, of course using it, and defragmenting it will hurt in the long run. For regular hard drives, it doesn't matter how much you use it, they usually fail by bumps or after a long time > 3 years.

As for standby vs hibernate, standby is preferred, especially if you have large amounts of RAM. Hibernate is pretty much obsolete nowadays, but it can fail quite often when the computer tries to write more than 2 GB ram, i believe it has a timer that goes off if it's still writing after about 30 seconds.

4. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I have Windows on my Mac and I tend to put it into hibernation after I'm done with it, I rarely shut it down. It hasn't caused me any problems. The reason why I hibernate it is because it's quicker to start Windows from hibernation than from a shut down state, otherwise Windows would have to start up all of the background processes when it starts up.

The only downside from hibernating Windows for me is that I have 4GB of RAM in my Mac so it takes a while for it to power off. Even when the screen and the sleep light turns off, you can still hear the fans spinning with power. I don't know if that's because it's still writing the memory to the hard disk.