Sleep or Shut down..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mvksagar45, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mvksagar45 macrumors member

hello All,
    I bought my first mac book pro ( 13 inch base model) yesterday..and it is really awesome...i will use this machine daily for about 3-4 hours....like 6-10 in the evening after i go from my office...and may be the entire day on weekends...SO, what is the best way to use it..should i shut down daily ? Or should i just close the display and send it to sleep ? Which option is the best ? My only criteria is "which is good for the machine in the long run " ?

And also, can any 1 please suggest a good place to get a mini display port to HDMI adapter...i am seeing some on amazon for 7$..but i am not sure weather they are good..as they are cheap ? do any 1 have them ? Thanks

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I think the machine is perfectly happy either way.

For me, it comes down to preserving the battery charge. If I know I'm going to be away from my MacBook for most of the day, I'll shut it down so that the battery doesn't drain any more than necessary. If I'm going to be back in a few hours or so, I just close the lid.

It's really up to you. Whatever works best for your situation. Just know that your MacBook will not be unhappy either way. It's perfectly content to never be shut down.

3. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Sleep for me, doesn't use much battery when asleep and it's back to life instantly when woken :D

4. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I usually just put it to sleep unless its not going to be used for a couple days.

5. Terry Norton macrumors member

Terry Norton

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MBP will use about 1% of battery for every hour of sleep, unless it's plugged in. As long as that isn't a problem for you, sleeping is fine. Many users run for months at a time without shutting down.

7. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

i use my mac everyday and shut down everyday - no problems

8. CaliLove310 macrumors newbie

I never shut mine down. Whenever I leave, I just close the lid and I'm off. At night I plug in the charger and let it sleep all night. I bought it in late '08 and haven't had any problems.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My MBP (2,2) hasn't been restarted for 28 days and 6 hours so far. I always put my Mac's to sleep. I only turn them off if I will be away for an extended period of time. The longest it went without a restart or shutdown was something over 60 days. Restarts only come for software updates requiring the restart.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I only shutdown/restart after updates. Sleeping its just much easier. Try sleeping a Windows computer for a few days :rolleyes: lol