Sleep or shutdown? if I dont use my rMBP every day

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ytech, Jan 9, 2016.

1. ytech macrumors member

ytech

Hey,
    Since I use my rMBP only once a day or once in two days I would like to know if its better to put it to sleep or to perform a shutdown?

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202124

There really is no reason to shut down the newer models. After three hours in sleep mode they enter a low power stand by mode that is almost the same as being completely off anyway.

3. ytech thread starter macrumors member

ytech

Hey, Thanks for your replay!.
    I usually shut it down, can it damage it?

(early 2015 13" rMBP)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... it won't hurt anything. It just takes that much longer to get it going when you want to use it is all.

5. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

FWIW, I always shut mine down. Old school I guess

6. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I shut down at the end of the day, or when I know I won't be using for some time. It's not like start up for newer models is slow. I'm back up and running any program in a minute. I've always done this with my computers (not so much with mobile/iOS) and it's never been a problem.

7. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Like the OP I only use my Macbook every couple of days, it's not my main computer. I always shut it down, why not? Even an old man can spare the 10 seconds it takes to boot, and I still get a sort of pleasure from the amazing start times of modern SSD kit, especially when I remember how long it took to boot a PC in the eighties.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There is no reason to shut your Mac down, but it won't hurt anything if you do.

9. rulymammoth macrumors member

I guess one reason to do this is so you can "reset" everything, but like others have said, it's not strictly necessary these days. I myself haven't shutdown at the end of the day in a decade.

10. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I never shut computers down as there's no need to. Turn off the display if it's a desktop or close the laptop lid to hibernate. They use such little power this way that it doesn't matter anymore.