Sleep or Shutdown?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iVX, Nov 5, 2010.

1. iVX macrumors newbie

iVX

Hello

I appreciate this is a commonly asked question through out the net,but I have see many mixed opinions on this topic.

Mac’s instruction manual for my MBP states if you are not going to use the computer for a couple of days or longer it is best to shut down.

For people that use their computers everyday,is it best to but it to sleep when not in use or to shut down and unplug?

Thank you

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Sleep, as the booting up puts more wear on the HDD and the power involved in booting up is even more than the power in sleeping for some hours.

That's is at least my opinion.

MRoogle is a good tool to search these fora for already existing threads about questions you have. It might be able to answer you quicker than waiting for an answer.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use my MBP all the time. Sometimes I won't use it for a few days but I always put it to sleep and never turn it off. Same thing on my iMac. I've been doing this with my MBP since I bought it in Feburary 2007.

You'll be fine leaving it in sleep mode.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. psxguru macrumors 6502a