Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon.Stewart87

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2008
United Arab Emirates
Hey everyone

just a quick 'newbie' question for you.

Do you sleep or shutdown at night - is this a matter of preference or is one actually smart to do for your iMac.

Recently I have been putting my iMac to sleep over night

thanks for your input.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Sleep, it saves time and power of a start up, and only uses a tiny amount of power.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Sleep, its just a lot easier to just click the mouse and have the imac wake up. I only shut down when I know I wont be using it for a long while.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I usually shut down at night and use sleep mode during the day. Feels better to start fresh in the morning with a clean boot.

Dartholomew

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
I've always slept my PCs, so I'm doing the same with the Mac. Seems to be stable and fast for the most part.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
I usually shut down and night and use sleep mode during the day. Feels better to start fresh in the morning with a clean boot.

Same for me and my MacBook.

I don't know exactly why, but I always did shutdowns with my Windows machines.
And boot time with the MB aren't that bad at all.

About power, I don't know about PC's, but other devices need "much" more power powering on/and off, instead staying in sleep/standby for some time.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
For power consumption, check these sites out:

Apple's info on being Energy Star Compliant

Apple's info on power consumption though pretty sparse, as I would love to have MBP and MB info too. On the second link, there are some other links on the top right. I did not go through the energy attributes listing for any of them, but it might give you guys a better idea of how much you gain or lose by sleeping or turning off.

I use a MBP, I only shutdown/reboot for updates or if I am upgrading any hardware (ram, hdd etc) I sleep it when I move from location to location, in my laptop backpack. Essentially I sleep my laptop if I am not using it.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
I sleep as well. Though I sometimes find it's woken itself in the night and rather than sleeping again (it's set to sleep after 20 mins) is just sitting on with the monitor black, but clearly on. Very annoying, I wish I knew why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.