Sleep or shutdown?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mifka, Nov 9, 2008.

1. mifka macrumors member

mifka

Is it better to put in sleep iMac than to shutdown it?
    When is better to put in sleep mode and when is better to shutdown iMac?
    What is the difference between them, only energy consumption or anything else?
    Thanks.

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Sleep obviously has the advantage of being able to restore to where you left it in a matter of seconds rather than rebooting. It will consume a little power but no big deal.

I only reboot when I notice things slowing a bit, or after a software install/update, works out to be every few weeks.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Shut down if you're away for a while, but sleep for day to day use. I very rarely shutdown or restart my Macs.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

whilst on the topic of sleeping. is it bad to always sleep a computer? one of the RAM slots in my MacBook Pro died a while ago and as RAM is powered while sleeping im thinking its bad for the RAM sticks? i shut it down when away for a while by mostly just sleep it.

5. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

So mostly you people put your laptops to sleep? Only i shut it down?

6. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

No, you're not alone. I shut mine down after I've checked my e-mail and before heading to work. My previous MacBook woke up on one or two nights. I guess it must have had a nightmare:D

After work, I power mine up, use it, put it to sleep. In the morning, I check my e-mail and then shut it down.

Sleep vs. Shutdown: the choice is the owner's to make. There's no right or wrong answer.

7. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Putting your mac to sleep when possible will prolong the macs life. It uses very minimal power while in sleep mode.

Every time you restart your mac their is a huge surge of power that flows through your whole mac. Especially putting strain on your power supply.

I only shut down my mac when I know I will be away for a day or more.
    Or after major updates or installs. However, I heard it is a good idea to do a restart every week or so. To flush it out, and have a fresh system log or something like that.

8. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I put my imac to sleep at night and wake it up during the day. On the weekend I don't use it so I shut it down.

My powermac G5 I never put it to sleep and I never shut it down. I like to run parrael computing projects on it when I'm not on it. I'll just restart it like once a month to keep thing running snappy.

My mbp I usually just shut it down when I'm done using it.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I normally just close my Powerbooks lid, but always shutdown my iMac. I've found the iMac to be a little troublesome when it comes to power - even though it's off (and no power schedule is active) it will turn itself on at random times. So I normally shut down+unplug. Takes a while to get all my apps open again and back into the swing of things though.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I use my MB as a desktop machine, so it's always sleep or just dim the screen + external monitor. I restart if I need to, such as if a software update hits me.

11. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

i think apple suggests shutting down if you'll be away from it for more than a couple of days.

12. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

My iBook G4 is celebrating its 5th birthday this week and it has almost never been shut off. Whenever I'm not using it, it is left in sleep mode. It is only shut-off for software upgrades (Panther -> Tiger -> Leopard), required OS updates, battery changes, and long-distance travel. It has been absolutely problem-free the entire time. :apple:

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

anyone think mostly sleeping my Mac fried one of my RAM slots?

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sleep is fine but I suggest restarting every few weeks.

15. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.55 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Is RAM powered when sleeping? I thought the whole point was that it wrote everything in memory to disc.

16. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

I always shut mine down when I'm asleep, otherwise I just sleep it.

17. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the RAM is still powered when the Mac is in sleep mode, until the battery level gets to a certain point. Then it saves everything to disk, and then proceeds to do the Windows equivalent of hibernation.

18. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I don't know, but I do know that it writes to disc when it sleeps, that is why it can take an age to sleep (light pulsing) when I close my laptop after a long period of 'uptime'.

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yes RAM is powered in normal sleep mode. that is how it resumes to your open applications when woken up.

since the PowerBooks RAM contents is written to disk as soon as it sleeps. so when the battery dies you can plug it in and resume from hibernation when pressing the power button.

i use the old sleep mode "mode 0" which does not write the RAM contents to disk http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html.

20. dakoyote macrumors newbie

Is it ok to sleep your MBP when moving it around??

Is it ok to sleep my MBP if it's always moving...in my car, in my backpack all day long? Or is it advisable to shutdown in this case?

21. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

When a Mac is asleep its HD drive is stopped and its read/write heads are parked. There is only a bare minimum amount of power being delivered to maintain RAM contents. Nothing mechanical is happening. It is your personal choice. My personal choice is to Sleep it, and I've been Sleeping my iBook for five years without a single problem. Just make sure it is well protected and padded; I'd worry more about cosmetic damage to the case than I would about the electronics inside. :apple:

22. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i would just put my imac to sleep. but i normally shutdown my laptops. i just don't trust the power supply as much with laptops.

23. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I shut it down because the light on the iMac bothers my parents