Sleep patterns, can you nap intermittently and just not sleep?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zombie Acorn, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Has anyone ever tried this? I have been thinking about it lately because I waste too much time sleeping and I think I would be much more productive if I just napped during the day instead.

2. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Thats not healthy. Your body needs its full cycles of sleep.

Your not wasting time laying there, **** is getting done.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Nope I don't nap at all I find if I do I won't sleep well that night

4. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I agree, because unless you have a very long nap then you are going to have a problem not having a lot of REM sleep etc. You could try it but I don't think you would last very long as you would get very tired and not having much focus.

King Mook Mook

5. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Give it a go for a few days and see how you fair. Remember that Seinfeld episode when kramer does this to be more productive:)

6. splitpea macrumors 6502a

No. Different sleep cycles replenish different chemicals in your brain. Napping doesn't give you a chance to enter the deep-sleep cycles, nor nearly enough REM... unless you're talking two 4-hour naps a day.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I doubt it would work without an alarm to make you wake up after a short nap. Once you're asleep, you need that aid to wake you up. Otherwise, your body will stay "shut down" for as long as it needs to. If this approach doesn't make you more productive, it will surely make you more cranky!

I heard a doctor on TV say that your heart needs deep sleep to "rest". So, do whatever you want. You only live once.