Sleep preferences.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by axeldtf, Dec 2, 2018.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I just recently received the new macbook air and so far i really like it. However when downloading large files on my slow internet connection my computer will tend to fall asleep before the download is done. On my old macbook (circa 2008) the display would go to sleep but the computer will stay running to do task like listening to mp3's and downloading files. I havent seen such a setting on my new laptop running mojave. I was hoping there was a solution without having to download apps like amphetamine or something similar. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

You can plug it in and use the "prevent computer from sleeping" under Energy Saver settings. Then keep it plugged in when you want to use it longer.

Certain apps can signal that they need more time before sleep. Safari is supposed to do it for downloads.

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

ok thanks.. been using chrome but i'll give safari a try.. thanks for the reply

4. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

Well, I will take advantage of this thread, because I prefer not to open a new one, to make a quick question about the Power Button behaviour.

On old MacBooks, whenever I pressed the power button, the turn off/sleep menu appeared to ask if I want to shut down, or sleep, and a 59 seconds countdown to power off the computer. Now on Mojave that menu has disappeared, and when I press the MacBook Air (Touch ID) power button, no menu appears.

Is that a bug, an issue, or is it normal? Any way to get back the old behaviour? I've been searching on google but I don't find anything.

Thank you.

5. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

yea same here.. in fact i've really never had to use the touch id button for anything except for the fingerprint.. when i open the lid the computer powers on. you'd think it would bring up the sleep, restart, log out option like older macbooks