Sleep problem - possible causes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by migsev, Jan 8, 2010.

1. migsev macrumors regular

Can anyone with technical know-how on Unibody MBPs help me explain my sleep problem? Just possible causes for it would make me feel a lot better. Its just bugging me that I don't know what the hell it is!

Basically the first problem I had was that whenever I would close the lid, the MBP would sleep for a few seconds then wake up again. Then it would sleep again for a few seconds, then wake up again etc, etc. Also, if I shut it down and closed the lid, it would turn back on. To work around it, I'd have to click shut down/sleep in the menu then close the lid before it turns off. If I did that, it would shut down/sleep just fine.

I didn't have time to bring it to my local service center again so I decided to try and remedy it myself. I reset the PRAM and the SMC but that only provided short term happiness. It slept/shut down properly for a few minutes, but after a few rounds of on/off or sleep/wake testing, the problem came back again.

Then I decided to wipe my hard drive and do a clean install of 10.6. I went ahead and installed 10.6 retail on my computer. I then reset the PRAM and SMC again just to be sure. The problem then changed completely - it wouldn't sleep at all if I closed the lid. It doesn't turn back on anymore when the lid is closed though.

I'm seriously stumped at this moment. Ideas, anyone?:confused:

2. Spandexman macrumors regular

Download a widget called Deep Sleep from http://deepsleep.free.fr/ . It works a treat for me. just open the dashboard, and click on the moon, and it'll put your computer into very deep hibernation.

3. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, but I'm actually not looking for a solution to the problem. I just seriously wanna know what could possibly cause it.

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Could be a bad lid magnet (loose or in the wrong place) or lid sensor. The lid magnet is located on the right edge of the LCD bezel, about half way up. It triggers a corresponding magnetic sensor in the body when the lid is closed, telling the computer to go to sleep. You could try placing a strong magnet on the right side of the MBP where the lid magnet would touch and see if the computer goes to sleep and stays asleep. The lid magnet also makes a convenient pencil holder.

It could also be a software problem. In System Preferences->Energy Saver, turn off Wake on Network Access and under Bluetooth->Advanced, turn off Allow Bluetooth Devices to Wake Computer.

5. migsev thread starter macrumors regular

How strong does the magnet have to be? Would I be able to trigger it with a fridge magnet? :eek:

Wake on Network Access has been turned off from the start. My bluetooth is also broken so I don't have a pref pane for it. :(

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

iPod headphones will trigger it, at least on my MBP. Make sure you hold them in the same place once you find the sleep sensor or the computer will wake up since it thinks the lid is opening.