Sleep question on a MACBOOK

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 5PEEDz, Aug 26, 2008.

1. 5PEEDz macrumors newbie

hello, ive had my macbook for about a month now, and was told from my sister that if i use it daily, i should just leave it on sleep whenever i go to sleep, or go out... well ive been doing that and was wondering if this is really okay. i dont think ive turned my computer off like shut it down for weeks....
    how long can i keep doing sleepfor? is it a bad thing? thanks! and sorry if this was posted somewhere, i tried to look but couldnt find any =[

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Don't worry about it, it's fine to sleep it rather than power it off. My 12" G4 Powerbook has only been powered down twice in over 4 years, once for a memory upgrade, and another when I was out of town for a couple of weeks. The rest of the time it's either been working or asleep, including many trips by road and air. I have 4x Mac's now, and they all sleep when not in use.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My friends and I only restart when there is an update which can mean months.

4. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

5. eddieiseddie macrumors member

eddieiseddie

wow i don't think it's really good for ur computer to never be turned off. First of all it wastes electricity, and well im sure there are more reasons...:rolleyes::D i turn mine off every night and even if im gonna be away from it for a few hours:) when my cousin started having scary problems with her macbook i found out she also never turned it off so im just tryin to avoid that by doing the opposite of what she did:cool:

6. 5PEEDz thread starter macrumors newbie

eddieeddie your wasting more by turning it off everytime lol...
    anyways thanks for the replies everybody that helped =D