Sleep/spin down 2nd hard drive (optibay clone)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by discosoap, Oct 19, 2010.

1. discosoap macrumors regular

Hi guys,

quick question. I bought an optibay clone and put it in my 2010 Macbook i5. I have an SSD residing in my standard hard drive bay (because of potential hibernate issues) and the 5400rpm Apple drive + optibay clone in the Superdrive bay.

How do I sleep/spin down the 5400rpm drive ? Unmounting doesn't seem to help. Put disk to sleep option in preferences is selected, but it keeps spinning and spinning. What options do we have for sleeping/spinning down this drive within OSX ?

Kind regards :)

2. discosoap thread starter macrumors regular

ps; please let me know when my question is not clear, posted in the wrong section or if you guys need more info.

3. aikinai macrumors newbie

If you're still wondering how to do this, you have to eject the disk, not just unmount it. Charlie.naylor posted a perfect script for ejecting the drive. Just change "Backup" to the name of the drive you want to eject.

4. qksilver macrumors newbie

I am unable to get the script to work my drive is called "data"

I pasted this from applescript

"touch /Volumes/data/.dummy;
    hdiutil eject `disktool -l | grep data |
    awk '{ print substr($0,20,7) }'`"

the " " are included in the script.

5. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

Sorry for reviving such an old thread but I thought I'd post for anybody on google trying to fix this problem (like me) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12536522#post12536522